Why Youth Activism Is Important To Me

Why Youth Activism Is Important To Me

"The duty of youth is to challenge corruption."

1958
Shaye DiPasquale

People in my community are too comfortable in their own lives. They don’t take much time to step outside of their own lifestyles and consider what life is like for other people in the county, in the state and around the world. Our schools do not effectively educate the general population of students on international issues, current world affairs and global poverty levels. There are far too many youths in my community who are ignorant about the state of the world in which they live.

Youth ought to be taught about the major issues facing our world and need to be encouraged to get involved through activism. Young teens need to be educated on the roles that they play in the global community and how they can best utilize advocacy to fight for the causes they care about. I know from firsthand experience that getting involved in both local and national leadership programs have been some of the most eye-opening and rewarding opportunities of my life. As a youth with leadership experience under my belt, I feel that I am equipped and morally obligated to help empower other youths to stand up and to speak out.

I personally strive to serve as a leader in my community for women's rights and empowerment on a global scale. I’m most passionate about education, literacy and equal opportunity, as I feel that these factors are critical to procuring female leaders around the world. I'm interested in combating the gender inequality in salaries and in leadership. There is a striking gap around the world between a woman's and a man's pay for the same work. Not only is this discriminatory, but it hinders the development and progress of every society. Women can be more than just home-keepers and domestic workers. They are the world's most untapped resource and power source. Think of all the greatness that could be achieved if the other half of the global population was given a voice and a role in society. All women need is a chance, an opportunity to turn their life around. They need an education and then they will be able to lift their community out of poverty. When given an equal and fair opportunity to succeed in this world, there is no doubt in my mind that women will help alleviate poverty from developing nations.

As a young leader, I want to educate my community and my world. I want to learn even more about the issues I already deeply care about. With that knowledge, I would like to speak to groups of people and develop leadership programs, educating people about the importance of investing in girls and in women. I want to be a role model and show other teens that they too can find a cause and support it in a creative and innovative way. I want to become an even more influential activist and advocate for women’s rights, health, economic empowerment and education. I am a privileged young women, who already has the confidence and opportunities to take control of my own life and be independent. I want to help inspire others to do the same: to be their own role model.