Why YoungLife?

Why YoungLife?

YoungLife is not just a small group.

11
Why YoungLife?

Growing up, I did not attend church every Sunday. Honestly, I would only attend on holidays to make my grandma happy. My relationship with God was minimal. Yes, I always believed in Him; however, I looked at Him as a being that I could not see or feel. I felt overwhelmed by all of the people that would push the idea of religion down my throat, so I never gave it my all.

This changed my freshman year of high school at a basketball game.

Funny, right?

This did not happen at a chapel or in a pew. It happened when I met two Liberty University students working the concession stand. Their loving and welcoming energy immediately made me feel like I could talk to them. They asked me questions about my life, my friends, and my hobbies, and not until the end of our amazing conversation did they introduce me to YoungLife.

They explained that it was sort of like a small group but so much more. They invited me to the first event and I was hooked. This group became my second set of best friends, and I started attending every week. This was the first time that I had actually witnessed God working through his people to encourage, not only worship but also love and compassion for all people. My leaders changed every year but I still was always met with the same lively and Godly spirit from all of them.

I attended YoungLife for all four years of high school and made some of my best friends there. I was even able to introduce some of my friends to God through it. This experience was so life-changing that I am now in the process of becoming a YoungLife leader for Longwood. I hope to be the light in a kid's life.