Why You Should Write With The Odyssey Online

No, this is not a rip-off advertisement

9

If you're reading this, welcome to The Odyssey Online. Odyssey is honestly a great way to share your opinions and stories with the whole world. If you've read some Odyssey articles, the most popular ones mostly have to do with political viewpoints, advice and reflections on relationships/friendships, and listicles about why so and so TV show is great (where are my Pretty Little Liars fans?). As someone who seriously had no interest in writing articles before, I can promise you that this experience is worth it. Here are reasons why you should write for Odyssey Online:

1) It's a great resume builder

Writing and creative skills are the main qualities you develop and improve on as an Odyssey writer. They give you opportunities for different positions for your university's Odyssey branch, such as Contributing Editor, Editor-in-Chief, etcetera. How could someone not be somewhat impressed by your moving up through the ranks with a pretty popular writing platform?

2) You can write a story about almost anything

By "almost" anything, it's implied that you really shouldn't mention that person's name that you just hated in your freshmen year of college. But, you are more than welcome to share that story of yours that you've been dying to talk about regarding that person you just couldn't stand - and hey, here's your chance to tell them off (in an implied manner). I highly recommend you read some of mine; you'll get how exactly to tell your story and opinions just by looking at a couple of titles ("12 Crazy Things A Former Roommate Has Said and Done," "Bad Housemates 101: What I've Learned," "What Not To Do As A College Student.")

3) Express Your Political Opinions

Odyssey welcomes all political opinions; whether you're a Republican or Democrat, or neither and you just identify yourself as pretty liberal or pretty conservative, or libertarian, or all those other categories that I'm not going to list here, this writing platform gives you the chance to share your perspective on a certain ideology of the political side of society.

Although, it's recommended that you don't sound...you know...too bitter, so don't just write your anger about so and so friend for having that political opinion, and entitle your article something like "To All Of You That Are [insert political party here], You're All Idiots" or anything else similar to that - I can guarantee that this would hurt a lot of people, and no one wants that. The whole point of writing in this context is to attract readers, not bully anyone directly.

4) Advertise Something

Maybe you're in an IM/club sport and you want a bigger crowd for upcoming games, or you could be in a film or theatrical show (shout out to my Theatre friends), or possibly you're trying to create a certain program/group at your school and you need to advertise it - Odyssey is a great tool for this. I've advertised a few events through Odyssey and shared the articles through big university pages. It definitely gets you more attention because Odyssey works toward maintaining and improving its image to the public for each article that is published, so your advertisement looks pretty awesome.

5) You can make videos as stories/articles!

If you don't really like to write all the time or maybe you just have a passion for editing video work, then Odyssey is a great platform to share some of your new works to the whole world! I've seen some amazing videos through Odyssey writers, and those were able to gain a lot of attention.

Whether you're an aspiring writer or not, or an English major or not, whoever you are, I guarantee you that this is not solely an article to advertise some company. This is coming from someone that Odyssey has given the chance to improve writing and build a job resume for the future. Odyssey Online can help you for the future, which is exactly why I wanted to write this particular article, for all of you out there that have great stories, advice, opinions, humorous lists of ideas, etcetera. Odyssey would love to have you, and you will truthfully love to write with this platform.