Why You Should Watch "13 Reasons Why"

Why You Should Watch "13 Reasons Why"

This show depicts the reality of our society.

28
Why You Should Watch "13 Reasons Why"
YouTube

I began to watch "13 Reasons Why" on March 31st when it came out on Netflix. There were so many promos for the show that I knew I wanted to watch it. I also wanted to watch it because I had remembered reading it when I was in 7th grade or 8th grade.

"13 Reasons Why" showcased bullying, social pressure, depression, character diversity, and suicide. The whole show is about a girl who commits suicide and in today's world, people do not want to talk about it because it is a sore subject. I think it should be talked about because every life is important. Every person was created for a reason. People who are thinking about committing suicide should know that someone out there loves them and that they are not alone. You never know what another person is going through. We are all quite capable of hiding so much of our lives and emotions, so it can be hard to pinpoint what a person is truly feeling unless they open up to you.

The show is very real. It talks about so many real things that can happen to anyone. They do not sugarcoat anything and it opens your eyes to that. It is hard to watch but it gives you a new understanding of how much your words can mean to someone. I was emotionally exhausted watching it. When I finished the whole series on Netflix, I did not know what to do with myself. I just laid in bed, thinking about what I just watched and thinking about life. Also, there are so many lessons to be found in watching the show. It shows how you should act when someone is being bullied, why you should say something to someone before it too late or what you should do if someone was struggling.

"13 Reasons Why" is relatable AF. You can relate to Hannah, Clay, Jessica, Justin, Courtney, Tyler, there is someone you can relate to. It draws you into why our society is so hard to live in today, especially being a teenager in high school. It touches on everything that goes on today and you can relate to it. It makes you see what sometimes I think everyone wants to hide.

If you are struggling with depression or have suicidal thoughts, you aren't alone. You are worth more than you think.

Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Get Help