Why You Should Be The Person Who Posts Too Much

Plaster the world with your diversity.

153
Arts Journal

Navigating this era of social media is a bitch. (Sorry for the language grandma, but it is) Suddenly there's this huge stigma around people who post too much. "They're just doing it for likes and attention." "Look at how many pictures they post. They are so insincere." "Conceited much?"

It's like no matter what you do, you can't win. We beg people to love themselves but we tell confident people to calm down. We urge people to be candid and share their lives but not too much. We encourage people to be genuine and real but persecute them if they choose to live their lives differently from us. It's a mine field. Never knowing when you're going to go "over the top" and be deemed the "Conceited Girl" or the "Douchey Guy".

Whenever I would hear people talking about a girl who posts too much, I used to catch myself thinking, "Are they talking about me? Should I stop posting so much?" But then one day I realized that I genuinely do not care if you think I post too much and here's why:

REPRESENTATION.

Growing up, there was no one who looked like me that I could look up to. No models, singers, actors, directors, etc. No one. There were no 6'1'', mixed, plus size women portrayed as beautiful in mainstream media. And if they were portrayed in main stream media it was to point out their flaws and tell them what they needed to fix about themselves. Needless to say, my self-confidence was virtually nonexistent. And it is because of this lack of racial and body diversity that I am still healing from the emotional scars of my youth; still trying to piece together my identity and self-confidence.

That is why I refuse to apologize for being the girl who "posts too much". If there would've been someone like me growing up who I could look at and see them loving their body and accepting themselves as strong and beautiful, there would've been no such thing as "too much". I would've devoured every picture, every video, every post because no matter how self-sufficient we may claim to be, EVERYONE could use a reminder that they are beautiful. I don't fit the norm in any way, shape, or form and it would've been absolutely life changing to see someone like me with the unapologetic confidence I so desperately wished I had growing up.

If I can be that to just one person, then it's worth it. If one person can look at my Instagram and feel hopeful or accepted or represented, then it's worth it. Every time someone messages me and says how much my Body Positivity has inspired them to come out of their shell and try new things, IT MAKES IT WORTH IT.

I'm not saying you have to be a plus size woman of color to be an advocate for representation. You could be a plus size bi sexual Indian man. Or a tall, lanky Asian man. Or a transgender Latina woman. Or a short pear shaped Caucasian red head. Whatever your differences are, celebrate them.

Don't let another generation grow up without representation in the media just because someone thinks you post "too much". Plaster the world with your diversity because you never know who is looking, not only at you but up to you. You are unique and special and beautiful and you should never be afraid of sharing that with the world.