Why You Should Support Senator Elizabeth Warren's Decision To Reject Betsy DeVos As Secretary of Education

Betsy DeVos should not be trusted as Secretary of Education.

13
Google

On Friday, January 27th, at 10:55 a.m. Senator Elizabeth Warren posted on Facebook that she will vote against Betsy DeVos's nomination to serve as the Secretary of Education. The U.S. Senator of Massachusetts strongly believes that DeVos serving as the Secretary of Education would not be in the best interest for the young people in America. After watching their round of questions, I can only sit here and agree with her. There are many reasons why Warren refuses to nominate DeVos, however, I encourage you to keep reading below to discover one big reason Warren doesn't support DeVos, and why you shouldn't either.

Warren points out that DeVos has no experience in higher education. This may not seem as a big deal to some, because the Secretary of Education doesn't teach. However, she has also never had experience with such a high budget, no experience in financial aid, or no experience in management of higher education. Why would we trust such an inexperienced person with a 1.3 billion dollar budget? Warren asked DeVos many simple questions throughout the confirmation hearing. DeVos refused to give straightforward answers to simple questions. One of Warren's most important points and answers she was searching for, was to see if DeVos would enforce a rule on protecting students and taxpayers from fraud committed by "shady for-profit colleges". These college's aren't offering recent graduates the tools and resources they need that will help them find a job in their field and the competitive job market. DeVos refused to commit to using the Department of Education's tools and resources that will keep these students from getting cheated. When asked if she would enforce the rule, DeVos simply replied with, "we will review the rule." Warren wants to make sure that the federal funds that go to colleges are actually being used in the proper way. Warren is looking for students to succeed, and be ready for gainful employment beyond college, she, in layman's terms, wants to make sure student's are getting what they are paying for, she wants colleges to be held accountable for the way they are impacting student's lives after college, especially if they are receiving federal funding. If DeVos can't commit to helping student's in this simple way, what else will she do that will impact students negatively in their future?

I easily agree with Warren's decision to reject DeVos's nomination. I attend a private school, so we do not receive federal funding. However, if I did attend a public school, I would want my school to follow the rules set that are contingent with receiving federal funding. A college should be making their students ready for life after graduation. They should be making students ready to go to work straight into their major. Paying almost $20,000 a year should be making students ready for the real world. The last thing students need to do is to throw their money away after years of tuition and room & board; if our congress elects DeVos that's exactly what students will be doing.

The President has called Betsy DeVos "a brilliant and passionate education advocate". However, I strongly disagree with this assertion. DeVos seems to be the type of woman who only cares about her own financial gain and not the advancement young adults need post graduation. I agree with Elizabeth Warren, and I encourage you to reject Betsy DeVos as the Secretary of Education.