Science Says You Should Step Outside Of Your Comfort Zone More

It's kind of a big deal.

2268
Danka & Peter / Unsplash

Comfort zones are neither good nor bad; they are a neutral state that we often return to when we need to recharge. However, a 1908 study was conducted showing that when we as humans take a chance and step out of our comfort zones, we can reach a level of optimal anxiety that helps us to perform better than when we are in our state of relative comfort. Although, when put under too much stress, we tend to crumble under the pressure. This is normally where our brain exercises caution brought on by some sort of fear in the situation. Fear keeps us safe but not all fears should be treated with immense caution. Instead, we should take that fear and let it feed our sense of adrenaline and curiosity. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is kind of a big deal; it helps you grow as a person and increases endorphin's in your brain, making you happy.

To figure out what is outside of your comfort zone can also highlight what is inside your comfort zone. Things you are comfortable with can be used as tools to take baby steps outside your comfort zone. You never have to leap straight out of your comfort zone all at once, however. This can often lead to bad experiences and unnecessary levels of fear. Oftentimes things that make us uncomfortable are fueled by an underlying fear that, when identified, can enable you to overcome that which is outside of your comfort zone.

The best thing you can do to step further out of your comfort zone is to surround yourself with people who take risks more often; it is true when they say that you take on the qualities of your friends. Also, surrounding yourself with people you are comfortable around who enjoy doing something you are trying to get more into can help you overcome some of that initial fear.

At the end of the day, be honest: You are trying something new for yourself. Remember to have fun and enjoy learning new things and meeting new people. It’s important to use the outcome of these moments as motivation to get through them. You can only grow from making mistakes, and if you are having fun with it and laughing at yourself along the way, you can also grow to love even the most awkward and embarrassing thing about yourself.