Why you should never wear socks with heels

and other fun adventures from my weekend

553

I'm in a music history class at school, and we have to go to two performances in the city, one before the midterm and one after. After seeing the concert, we have to write a concert report about it, which totals two concert reports per semester. The next concert report is due in a couple of days, so this weekend I had to go to a recital at Juilliard of a violinst performing Mozart. She was really good and the music sounded beautiful, but that wasn't what I was focused on.

I went to the concert with my roommate, who likes classical music. As we were walking to the concert she was strides ahead of me. An hour before, we were in our room trying to decide what to wear to a recital at Juilliard. It was one of those things where people either wear jeans and a sweater or a full on evening gown. We settled for business casual--a healthy medium--which meant heels. I decided to wear those no-show sock things with my black $20 Payless heels, which sounds like a good idea because then my feet would be comfortable. But that was a drastic mistake.

So there we were, walking to the concert from the train, and Ally was way ahead of me, and I couldn't understand what was taking me so long. I'm not the most graceful on heels, but I also have worn them on various occasions, being a nineteen year old girl and all. I've had practice and it didn't make sense that all the sudden I was just incompetent. My feet hurt so much and I was happy to finally sit in the wooden seats of the recital hall.

After the concert was over we stood up, and my the bottoms of my feet were literally burning which was fun. Sitting for over an hour didn't do anything by means of recovery for my feet; instead, it seemed to make them worse. But Ally and I were hungry, and Juilliard is about a twenty-minute walk from Chick-fil-A. My feet hurt, sure, but not enough to deter me from Chick-fil-A. So we began the trek, even though I was walking about a third of a mile per hour, and we retrieved our chicken sandwiches. When we finally made it back home, I took my shoes off and realized there was a huge blister on my foot which is still there and made me have to limp all yesterday and today.

It's probably the socks, Ally told me. Somehow, my feet didn't have the natural friction of my foot as I walked because the sock was in the way, so they had to overcompensate which created a blister. There's not really a moral to this story, other than that no-show socks don't aways work with black Payless $20 heels.

Come to think of it, though, the whole things was kind of ironic. Sure, we were in heals and nice pants watching the violin recital with all the stuffy art connoisseurs in a concert hall at Juilliard, but really we just wanted some Chick-Fil-A and to take off our heels which were killing us. I feel like life is kind of like that, more so the older you get. You can pretend to be something you're not for a while, but after a bit your feet will start to hurt.