Why You Should Make Time For Your Grandparents

“Visit grandpa every chance that you get, it won’t be a waste of time. Always stay humble and kind.” – Tim McGraw

160
Facebook

We get older, we get busier, and we lose sight of the people that helped make us into the people we are today. We move away, we start new chapters in our lives, and time flies by. While all of this is happening, we also forget that our grandparents are watching us grow and go through life, all while getting older, too. If you’re like me, you don’t really realize how fast time is flying and how fast things are changing, until it’s too late. When all of these exciting things in your life are happening, you never think about how your grandparents are growing older, and how their health will start to deteriorate. It takes a serious illness or even the worst, death, to make you realize that you didn’t spend as much time with them as you wanted, or needed to. Take it from me when I say that you will never spend enough time with your grandparents, but while you still have the time, it is important to always fit time into your busy schedules for them, before it’s too late.

While you only get your grandparents in your life for a short amount of time, your grandparents get to watch you live your whole life. They watch you grow up from a baby to an adult, and get to give you advice along the way. They’ve lived through it all, and they want to make sure that you don’t make the same mistakes they did. They share the stories from their lives to teach you lessons, and want nothing but the best for you. You may think that their repetitive stories and life lessons are annoying or boring now, but you will never realize how much you will miss those things when they are gone.

Go and visit your grandparents every chance that you get, because one day, you won’t be able to just show up at their house to see them. Pick up the phone and call them whenever you’re not busy, because I’m sure they want nothing more but to hear about your day. One day, you won’t be able to call them when you’re upset or need someone to talk to. Sometimes it seems like your grandparents are the only people that understand you, and you will really miss having someone that accepts and understands you as much as they do. Grandparents are some of the biggest blessings you ever receive in life, but you don’t realize it until they are gone.

One day, you will lose your grandparents, and your life will come crashing down. You will regret all the times that you didn’t go visit them, because you chose to do something else. You’ll go visit their grave and talk to them, and wish so badly that you could hear their voice again. You’ll cherish the pictures you have of them because that is the only way you can see their face and smile whenever you need to see them so badly. You will find yourself repeating those stories and life lessons to others throughout your life, and feel guilty because you didn’t appreciate them as much as you should’ve all the 100 times you heard them in the past. You will find yourself lying in bed at night, begging for a sign that they are still watching over everything you do, when really you just need one last hug.

You will go through life without them and wish that they were there for your biggest accomplishments, like graduating college, getting married or having children. And even though they are gone from your sight, they will always be there with you every step of the way. They are still there giving you hugs in your time of need, and they will always send you some sort of sign to show that they are still there. They are the people you wish to share your best news with, and you will always find yourself saying “

you should be here”, but you must remember that they are there, just in a different way. The pain you feel when you lose your grandparents will never go away, so I give one piece of advice: Make time in you're busy schedules. Make time for a visit, make time for a phone call, and make more memories that you will get to cherish later on in life. I promise you, it will not be a waste of time.