Why You Should Go To School For Architecture

You will not have final exams (and other reasons).

5

So when I was deciding what I wanted to go to school for, I was completely lost, having a hard time picking one thing out of the many to commit to for the rest of my life. Many of those aptitude tests that so many people take kept showing architecture as a result or me (which is something I had never considered). Since I decided to try out architecture, I am now in my fourth year of it, and have never looked back. Here is why:

1. Architecture is actually really creative. When you have your first studio, it is really abstract and your projects are based around forms, light, and space. You do not actually call what you are making a building, but it is more of a sculptural piece that is meant to convey your concept.
  2. You will not have final exams, because studio is only comprised of projects that you are working on throughout the semester. You usually have two or three projects that you are working on, and though they are a lot of work, once you have had your final presentation, you are finished with the class (no studying required).
  3. You get to learn a little bit about everything. I know I personally love learning (I know I am a nerd), but when you are working on a new project and trying to come up with a concept, you spend a lot of time researching the history of your site and city, and researching abstract connections to develop a concept. This makes every project complete different so it never gets boring.
  4. You get to watch a lot of Netflix. A big part of studio is spending endless hours clicking away on your computer screen to make the graphics for your project (it takes a really long time). Though this may not be for everyone, what is nice is that because this part does not take much critical thinking, you can actually successfully multitask between working on your project and working your way through your most recent series of binging.

These are the immediate reasons that come to mind of why you should go to architecture school. Though there are a lot more, there also reasons it turns people away. It is a major that requires countless hours of work, and your ideas constantly being criticized, so you will learn quickly if it is for you or not. With that being said, I recommend giving it a try, and hopefully it is as addicting to you as it is to me.