Why You Should Go To College: College Opportunities

Want to be a part of the community? Want to further your education? Go to college!

1676
Dean Riggott Photography

It’s amazing to think about how many opportunities come from going to college. After paying the tuition, you may think college was never worth it, but your future employers think otherwise. A lot of times, your continuation into higher education is what can land you a better job.

In fall 2015, some 20.2 million students are expected to attend American colleges and universities, constituting an increase of about 4.9 million since fall 2000. (Source)

It’s no secret. Continuing onto college can influence a lot of positivity to happen in your life. Sure your bank account may cry in the process, but nothing can compare to landing that job your non-college attendees cannot get to. Depending on what degree you receive at your college, you can earn almost $400 dollars more than someone with a high school diploma.

Something to also consider are the programs that help you get to a better job. Most colleges have programs that allow students to have a "Co-op". Co-operative Education (Co-op) is an internship program that enables college students to get training with pay as they work with professionals in their major fields of study. Colleges like Rochester Institute of Technology have programs that allow students in majors like software engineering to work with a company for experience and pay. Not only do you get the internship you were trying to find, you also can put this experience on your resume to impress future employers.

“I made $46,000 working as a Co-Op student for a great company while I was getting my college degree from a well-known university, and now the company that I did my Co-Op with wants to hire me.” This isn’t too good to be true. The truth is that College Co-Op programs totally rock, and I could have gotten that quote from thousands of Co-Op students nationwide. (Source)

Most opportunities are found within the community of your college. Colleges have different clubs for anime-lovers, LGBT supporters, and student government. The involvement in these groups can help you familiarize yourself with your local community and those involved. Who knows, you may even meet your future husband or wife in college clubs or groups. Being involved, overall, in your college's activities can promote a healthy social life. College has clubs for Quidditch or even belly dancing. You never know what you'll find! Join The Odyssey Online, blog to your own classmates! Start a petition... Or even your own club!

One of the most important reasons to go to college is to become independent. When you go to college, you have the opportunity to finally live on your own, away from your parents. Although you love your 'rents, it's time to move on. Your independence is formed even from being in a college just 45-minutes away. College is staying up until four in the morning or have shopping cart races down the hall. College is about trying new things and doing what your parents would otherwise stop you from doing before. So go on, be more independent, it's college!

Give college a try! I can guarantee you will have some fun times! College to a lot of people is the start of something amazing. It's the start of friendships and it's the beginning of your life. Supposedly, it's the best years of your life. Take this opportunity and go to college! It doesn't matter your age or your career path, there's always a place for you at college!

Until next time,

Meaghan