Why You Should Go Greek At University Of Dayton

It's the best thing I've done.

164
Megan Green

Spring recruitment is right around the corner and I couldn't be more excited! I went through spring recruitment my second semester freshman year where I found my home away from home. One of the first articles I wrote for the Odyssey was why you should join a sorority. This inspired me to write another article about going Greek, but specifically at UD. I loved going Greek, but I feel that UD is the perfect environment for a person to go Greek. So here are just a few of the many reasons why you should go Greek at UD!

1. UD Greek life isn't as competitive as big state schools.

At big state schools, they make the recruitment process seem incredibly difficult and competitive to get into. At UD, the recruitment process is all about learning more about yourself and where your values best align. At UD, we want what is best for you and for you to find your second home. Also, at UD our Greek life is really involved with the community and always supports everyone involved. You can always find the sororities and fraternities pairing up with each other for good causes or social gatherings.

At other schools, some of the sororities and fraternities compete so much with who has the better name that they barely even associate with each other. UD is known as a community and our Greek life does just the same.

2. You've had a whole semester to get used to college before joining Greek life.

At other schools, you go through recruitment before school even starts. College is already a huge transition and joining something so big before even starting school can be stressful. Having this semester to adjust to college, make friends and get a better sense of how to be independent is vital. These things will help you feel more confident and ready to join Greek life.

3. UD Greek life is financially appropriate.

Although not one of the funnest aspects of Greek life, it is still something important to think about when considering to go Greek. Luckily, at UD, Greek life is actually affordable and they work with you if you need financial help. You go to some schools and the prices start at over $1,000.

4. It's easy to get to know everyone.

Greek life is a pretty signifiant part of UD, but it isn't too big. The organizations are big enough to where you get to meet plenty of amazing different people, but a small enough size where you can actually say you know everyone's name in your sorority/fraternity. This creates true relationships and just shows how close our organizations are.

5. Join to be a part of something bigger.

At UD, there are so many ways to get involved. It's almost impossible to not be involved in some way at UD. But joining Greek life is so different from any sort of club. You are becoming a part of something bigger. Something that has lasted for years, something that other people around the world are a part of.

It's sharing something so sacred and so meaningful. It's living out your values in everyday aspects. There are so many different reasons why you should go Greek, and doing it at UD is one of the best things I have done. I want you to feel the same way!