Why You Should Be Excited, Not Scared To Graduate College

This is the beginning of anything you want.

14
Brennan Spark Photography

It’s graduation season, and I am proud to say that I am part of the class of 2016. Being in your early 20s and graduating college, it is a milestone. It is a celebration of completing a stage of life and entering adulthood. I mean, we have been in school for at least 16 years, and I don’t know about you, I couldn’t be more excited for something new.

After graduation, it’s a completely open space where you can go anywhere or do anything that you want. I mean your life has always been your own, but being in your early twenties and finishing school it is a time to take risks. I am completely aware that I still have a lot to learn in this life and for the rest of graduates as well. But, graduates should realize that even though leaving school could be scary, it’s the beginning of life’s adventure.

The next five years are going to shape your life, so as that statement can be frightful, let it motivate you. You have the ability to make your life whatever you want it to be. This isn’t the time to settle. Don’t settle into a job you hate. Don’t settle in relationships or friendships. Don’t settle into where you are comfortable.

"Once in awhile it really hits people that they don't have to experience the world in the way they have been told to." Alan Keightley.

This is your time, your life. Take risks. Try something new. Don’t give up after going after what you want. By being in your early twenties you don’t have many things holding you down, as you will later in life. My graduation cap sums it all up saying, “This is the beginning of anything you want.” Just remember this life is yours and you have the ability to make it anything you want.

Even though all the new responsibilities that come with adulthood can be daunting, I think it's all about perspective. This is our chance to make our life what we want it to be, if we have the courage to do so.

And, remember, this is one of those moments you are not going to want to forget. Give yourself credit for all the hard work and enjoy every moment of your graduation, don't rush through it. Only 6.7 percent of the world has a college degree, and now you are part of that; that is something to be proud of. Enjoy and celebrate your accomplishment. You did it!