Why You Should Do Spring Break With Your Family

2

For seniors, Spring Break can be a bittersweet time.  After Spring Break, we will only have one more month before we graduate.  Some people are going on one last hoorah with friends, while others use Spring Break as a time to travel for job and internship interviews.  I, on the other hand, decided to spend my time with my family by going on a trip out of the country.  Don’t get me wrong, going to Panama City is a fun time, but after three years, it can get a little monotonous.This year, my family and I are going to St. Martin, an island in the Caribbean. There were several factors that went in to making my decision to go on a trip with my family.  
First, as most of you have realized by now, graduating in four years either requires coming into college with a lot of credits, or taking summer classes.  I was not able to take classes in high school that counted toward college, so my only option was summer classes.  Because I took so many summer classes, I was not able to enjoy my summer and go on a vacation like everyone else. Going to St. Martin will be the first time I have been on a vacation in three years.
Second, this trip is probably one of the last times that I will be able to spend quality time with my family.  I do not know where I will be next year, but I will not be able to have breaks and come home like we do in school right now.  
Lastly, my brother is a sophomore here, and I know that he will be partying it up when he finally turns 21 (which is completely understandable).  He and I will be on completely different schedules, and I know he would rather want to be with friends and have a fun time than spend time with me on Spring Break in the future.  Despite the fact that Spring Break means graduation is nearing, I am very excited. I have been to several islands before, but this time will be different. The resort where we are staying has on-site surfing and snorkeling, amongst other things.  My brother and I are certified open water scuba divers, so this will be the first time that we will be able to dive without an instructor.  If you have never been to the Caribbean, I highly suggest you go. The water is beautiful, and the weather is perfect.  Getting certified to dive in the Caribbean is one of the most unique experiences you can have.  Even snorkeling is awesome, because the fish and other sea creatures are so beautiful.  
Going to an island is such a relaxing experience. The people are great, and the drinking age is lower, so you can sit on the beach with a drink all day long without having a huge crowd around you like in Panama City. Going to Panama City Beach is fun, but having a relaxing vacation to get your mind off of school is exactly what a senior needs before going off into the real world.