Why You Should Date Guys Named Christian

Let's face it, we're all looking for the man named Christian.

1520
A Life Well Lived Blog

Don't you love eye-catching article titles? Sometimes they can be so deceiving...a lot like this one. Whoops, gotcha.

Sorry, guys named Christian, this article is not totally about you. But don't fear, there's still hope that it could be. And ladies, please read on and please do not dump your BAE if his legal name is not Christian.

This week I'm speaking to all the women out there looking for a man. Not any man though. A man of God. A man named Christian.

Let me explain who this Christian guy is exactly. Super dreamy. A man named Christian is a believer in Jesus Christ and His teachings. But not only does he believe in this God who saved us from death and sin, but lives his life in imitation of Him. He can fully take on the name of Christian because he lives out his duty to be a man that knows, loves and serves the Lord.

If you're a woman deciding whether the guy you want to be with or who you're with now can be described as Christian, let's think about the following scenario:

You and your boo/crush/bae are going to your parents' house for dinner. You go to introduce him and right after he says his name, your father (because who else would ask awkward, difficult questions) asks, "So boy, are you Christian?"

You're man proudly responds, "Yes. Yes I am Christian." But your dad doesn't stop there (because why would he). He goes on to ask, "Well, when are you Christian?"

To that ... what would your boo/crush/BAE respond? Maybe he would say he's Christian on Sundays, but not at school. Or possibly that he's Christian in his home, but not when he's out on the weekends. Maybe he says he's Christian at his church, but not in his frat. Or he is Christian with his girlfriend, but not with other women.

When it comes to my own life, I feel that I've been on dates with every guy on the spectrum. Ones that have never stepped foot in church. Ones that preach the Lord in their youth group, but not on the sports team. Others that proclaim to love Jesus at school, but not on the weekends. Worst of all, the ones who were Christian to me, but not the other women in his life.

Because of this distorted image of what I thought Christian men were, I lived in the dark as to what kind of man I was looking for and deserved. I gave up on finding a man that called himself Christian and really meant it. A man that was proud to call himself Christian not only in front of my parents, but in front of the world.

Until one day ... that one awesome day... I met him ... I met my best friend's boyfriend.

LOL, weird, right? Although I'd love to give all the credit to my own man, I have to say that my image of Christian men was redeemed because of his entry into my life.

You see, Phil is not any Christian. He is the Christian. The list could go on and on about the influence he had on me. The man treated/treats me and every other person he meets with the same honor and respect he would give his girlfriend.

Phil's the kind of guy that would come over just to give us all flowers. He's the guy that would give up my best friend for an entire day so I could cry and vent about life with her. He was always first to ask if I would join he and his girlfriend on their date nights (and gladly bring me along). He opened countless car doors for me, asked me about my life and my interests, gave me encouragement and told me when I was way too good for boys playing games.

But all these actions aside, what influenced me most was watching him love the Lord and pray with my best friend. Each week they choose a Bible verse to tape on their car steering wheel to be reminded of what God is doing in their lives. They ask each other every day, "So what was your highlight and where did God show up today?"

Their friendship and love captivated me and made me hope and pray for someone as honorable and devoted as Phil.

What my best friend and I always agree upon when it comes to the guy we date, whoever they are and whatever kind of flaws they might have, they should push us closer to the things and people we love.

So ladies, I want you to consider something. If you are a Christian woman and do not think it's necessary to be dating a man named Christian, I would like you to think about this...

Let's say Phil started telling my best friend how terrible I was. Or how he doesn't understand why she likes me so much, or that I'm taking too much time away from them and that he has no interest in getting to know me. Would she start to love or resent me?

Let's add to this. How about if Phil started saying to her that he doesn't understand how she could love Jesus, and that he was taking too much time away from them and that he personally had no interest in getting to know the Lord. Would she start to love or resent Jesus?

I believe you know the answer.

The truth is, the people we decide to date can either push us closer or pull us away from the Lord. If you're man is not Christian and has no intention of being Christian, I'm sorry ladies, but he will not make you love Jesus more. Some day there will come a time where he will not understand what you love most. And that is the greatest tragedy.

How sad would it be if Phil never got to know his girlfriend's best friend? There would be a missing key to knowing her heart.

So my girl, you deserve the man named Christian. Not just a Christian at school, or home, or church or on his Twitter. You deserve the Christian that is relentlessly serving and honoring Christ through every human person around him. He will be flawed, he will be broken, but he will be working each day to be a greater man, not only for you, but for his Savior.

Ladies, there are men named Christian out there, and they are waiting for you.