5 Reasons Why You Should Be Thanking Your Long Distance Best Friend

"Distance makes the heart grow fonder", they say. Being separated from a best friend can be very hard at times, but if it’s a true friendship, it can last, no matter how many miles apart you are.

Sure, the communication can be hard because of the separate lives now being lead, but if the bond is as strong as it is claimed, then the friendship can last a lifetime. Here are five reasons why you should be thankful for this friendship.

1. Thank you for making me feel like you’re at home, even when you’re not.

Being surrounded by home friends is always a fun and nice time, but when we get to talking, it’s like we never skipped a beat. We may not talk every day, but I'm always excited to hear how your week went or what is new in your life. I feel as if we always pick up right where we left off.

2. Thank you for always letting me fall back on you.

Not everyone will always be there for you. But the fact that you are makes it that much sweeter. Since you have moved away, our friendship has lasted breakups, bad dates, ending friendships, and even new-found love.

No matter how bad of a day I may have, I know I can always count on you to let me call you or even send a simple text message. It makes me feel so much better when I’m having the worst of days.

3. Thank you for understanding space is a necessity.

Personally, I'm not one who enjoys being bothered by people 24/7, so when my long distance best friend is living states over, it works out. We have a mutual understanding of what the word “space” means, and it comes in handy when life can feel overwhelming. So, for this, I thank you for understanding that when I don’t respond, I just need time.

4. Thank you for keeping our secrets safe.

We tell each other everything without telling anyone else. We have seen each other at the darkest of times and some of the most beautiful moments in our lives. No matter what the situation is, I can count on you to keep it between ourselves. Trust in a friendship means everything, and it’s always great knowing you have a friend who won't repeat anything, ever.

5. Thank you for accepting me.

Even though you moved a few states over, or you are gone for a period of time, we never disconnect. We can go months without talking or even years, and when we reconnect, it’s like we haven’t missed a day.

You have seen me through some of the saddest times and happiest in the last few years and you have never judged me once. No matter what the situation is, you always seem to be there. Having you in my life has been a great time and you have made it so much easier.

Thank you for being my “long distance best friend”.