Why Being A Rho Gamma Is The Most Rewarding Experience

There's truly nothing better.

177
Ball State University

Recruitment is an insane time in everybody's lives. Active members are working to recruit girls that fit well in their chapters. Potential new members are fighting to find a place they connect with and feel at home with. And Rho Gamma's are running around trying to make sure no one feels left behind or forgotten. Everybody is working tirelessly.

This year, I got the amazing opportunity of taking on the Rho Gamma responsibilities and it was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. Being a Rho Gamma taught me courage, respect, and kindness. You have to put yourself in the shoes of the girls who are going through the process at the time and that can be really difficult.

While you went through recruitment at some point, these women are going through it right now. They are filled with stress, fear, excitement, sadness, happiness and so many other emotions. All of which are valid, and all of which you probably felt while you were going through recruitment. Being a Rho Gamma is about remembering these feelings and helping the women feeling them now work through them.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't show emotion. When I want to cry I lock myself in the bathroom and don't let anybody see. I keep my wall up and only let a select few in. Having to help women work through all of these emotions was definitely a challenge for me but it taught me kindness and courage and helped me grow as a person.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Theta sisters and missed them dearly while I was disaffiliated. But being a Rho Gamma also made me appreciate my own chapter that much more. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, they say. And in this case, there is nothing more accurate.

Having to remove myself from the women and the chapter that I take for granted every day made me realize how special this affiliation has been for me and how lucky I am to have these women in my life.

Being a Rho Gamma is one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever experienced. I grew up, I practiced compassion, and I worked hard. There is nothing more I could have asked for from this position. And if you ever have the opportunity to help girls go through the process of recruitment as a Rho Gamma, jump on it as fast as you can.