Why you should be a Gamer

Why you should be a Gamer

Video Games have become a big part of society, here's my thoughts on why that is and why you should become a gamer too

478
Why you should be a Gamer
HD Wallpapers

Millennials’ lives revolve around the use of technology which is both a blessing and a curse. The millennial generation is known for having progressive tendencies and utilizing all available technology, but at times this can make millennials seem disconnected. Many people attribute this disconnected nature to technology; maybe more specifically, video games. From the original Nintendo games to MMORPS like World of Warcraft or Runescape to first person shooters like Call of Duty or Halo, everyone has their vices. While I’m not necessarily proud of the number of hours I’ve logged playing video games, I sure as hell had a good time doing it. Plus, video games aren’t all bad. Video games keep your mind stimulated, help you learn essential technological skills, improve critical thinking skills, help you make friends, make you a more well-rounded person, they’re useful for relieving stress…the list goes on and on.

Every genre of video game is beautiful in its own way. I, as someone who’s personally played just about every genre of video game, can vouch for this. First of all, one of the most beautiful components of video games is the strategy involved. The fact that you have to think and adapt to the style and speed of play is part of the fun. Obviously when you join a lobby for a Call of Duty match your thought process isn’t going to be anywhere near the same as if you’re playing a single player game like Super Mario. Games require thought, there’s a definite learning curve involved. This skill absolutely translates to real life situations. The ability to adapt and adjust to new situations and environments is invaluable. We’ve all made adjustments that were uncomfortable at one time or another. As odd as it sounds, video games have helped me with these types of transitions. Going from job to job or moving from high school to college is almost has so many similarities to making an effort to master one style of game and transitioning to another. Believe it or not, I feel like video games have molded me into a better version of myself.

While self-improvement isn’t the main purpose of video gaming, it sure is a nice benefit. Let’s be real though, gamers play video games for the love of the game. I never once picked up a controller and said “alright let’s do this, time to better myself”, I played video games because I had a blast doing quests, playing games with my friends, and most of all for the love of pwning noobs. Video games get a bad rap sometimes, but there’s more than meets the eye. Video games are a big part of the reason why I am who I am today, and I love that. While I don’t suggest playing 24-hours straight like I’ve done in the past, I’m here to tell you it’s okay to indulge every now and then. Video games aren’t bad for you. In my opinion, they’re just the opposite.