Why You Need To Let Go Of That Toxic Relationship

"Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." - Corinthians 13:7

172
Rev Cat

Toxic people don't always begin as such. It starts as a friendly smile, an easy-going relationship, and gradual trust until that person becomes an integral part of your life, in a romantic or friendly aspect. There's nothing wrong with this progression - it's quite healthy actually. The problem arises when toxic people begin to show their true selves, and the problem furthers itself when those caught in a toxic relationship can't or won't remove themselves from it.

Sometimes, toxic relationships are obvious, blatant infidelity or physical violence. Sometimes, toxicity creeps in until you wake up one day and realize the one you can't live without and the one who breaks your heart are the same person. If someone keeps dragging you down, it's time to drop the weight and rise yourself. Being alone can be scary, yes, but it is better to stand alone for the right reasons than with somebody for the wrong. There is a difference between being alone and being lonely.

A toxic relationship is not always romantic. It can be that coworker that bullies you into filing their reports for him because he doesn't want to fill them out himself. It can be the friend who never has time to listen to what's bothering you, but expects you to always be an open ear for her.

People come into our lives by design, or fate, or destiny, or whatever you believe in - but keeping them is our choice. Life is way too short to be wasting time on people who don't love us the way we deserve. Life is too short to waste on people who drain you rather than lifting you up. Life is too short to not let go of toxic people, relationships, situations, and environments.

It's time to let go of that boy that is so stubborn and bull-headed he thinks he can do no wrong and refuses to ever apologize, even if he is entirely at fault.

It's time to let go of that girl who doesn't want you, but doesn't want you to be happy with anybody else either.

It's time we start realizing that we are deserving of so much more love than toxic relationships and people are giving us. It's time we stop letting ourselves be manipulated.

I am so tired of watching good people - girls and guys - get used because their hearts are too kind to see the true side of somebody they love.

Love is not "rules" and saying you can only visit that person on these weekends and text them between these times. Love is not getting angry and manipulating the situation in your favor to weasel an apology out of someone who did no wrong. Love is not walking on eggshells to not make someone angry, because their mood dictates your relationship. Love is not deceitful lies, and apologizing only to run back and do the very same thing again.

Love is not "I love you, but..."