Why I Write For Odyssey

Why I Write For Odyssey

Odyssey gives me a voice.

12
Why I Write For Odyssey
Odyssey

I've been writing for Odyssey for a while now, and every so often, I get questions about what Odyssey is, whether or not I write the articles I share, and how to become an Odyssey writer.

I was one of the many people who frequently said to myself, "I love to write; I should start a blog!" Of course, I never did. I could never find the time or the motivation to follow through. When Ashland University started a branch of Odyssey, however, I realized that this would be the perfect opportunity to write. I would have deadlines, an editor, and a team of other writers in my university community. I applied to be a content creator, and I became part of the team! Every week, I look forward to my content being published via Odyssey, along with articles from universities across the nation. I get to see what the other writers on my team have been working on. I get to work with several fantastic editors who are always happy to help make my piece the best that it can be. I get to take a break from writing assignments from my professors and take a moment to write about whatever I choose to!

If you've been thinking, "Hmm I should start a blog," consider joining a local Odyssey team instead. Your work will be published on an increasingly well-known platform. You have the opportunity to reach a large audience; as more people choose to interact with your piece, it could go viral! You can make your voice heard on important issues and gain support. For example, if your university chooses to sweep a sexual assault report under the rug, you now have a voice that can be influential in creating awareness and hopefully change. A member of the Ashland University Odyssey team did just that with her piece, "She Didn't Say No Enough," by Hannah Wise. Odyssey gives you power to speak up with other "college kids," and makes you a force to be reckoned with. Suddenly, you're not some "college kid"--you're a writer, and recognized as such.

Join Odyssey, and expect to get a great team, questions about your articles from friends and family who never knew you could write, and self-satisfaction in choosing to create every week when everywhere else someone is telling you exactly how to live your life.