Yes, I Write For Odyssey, And Yes, You Should Too

You might just love your experience too.

55
Laura Guerriero

I've sat down to write this so many times, but I honestly just haven't found a way to put into words what my Odyssey experience has been like. Obviously, if you're reading this, you know that I have finally found a way to do so.

Without sounding completely cliché, let me start by saying Odyssey has given me more than I had ever expected. It was the summer going into my Sophomore year, and I was feeling inspired. I saw that my Facebook feed was filled with Odyssey articles, and I wrote an article (which ended up being my first published article) before ever looking up their website. I applied to become a content creator, and less than a week later, I was a published member of my school's Odyssey community.

Odyssey has given me the outlet I needed to connect with others through writing. I never really thought my articles would have an effect on anyone, a collection of my own thoughts and feelings. That is until I published this article, the first article I wrote that was shared more than 100 times. I was absolutely blown away by the fact that 100 people would even read it, let alone share it. The day it went live, I had received a handful of messages telling me these people felt the exact same way, and a couple even thanked me for writing about a topic that is not commonly discussed.

Not only has Odyssey given me a platform to share my voice, but it has also given me the confidence to do so. Hearing people say they thought my writing was both entertaining to read and shared an important point helped me step out of my comfort zone and write about what I wanted without being afraid of the backlash.

Now, as an EIC, I have not only my own community at Boston University, but a community of EICs and MEs that help me become a stronger leader. They've given me the tools I need to help my team succeed and a support system that's always there to lend a hand or be cheerleaders for one another.

It would be an understatement to say that I'm grateful for my Odyssey experience.

For those wondering whether or not to dive into Odyssey, the answer is yes. If you want your voice to be heard, or if you just want a space to write about whatever you want, why not give it a shot? You just might end up loving your experience too.

To start your journey, apply here!