Why Women Today Need To Be Aware Of Their Surroundings

Don't allow yourself to be an easy target.

1380

Let me tell you a true story. Last summer, I went on vacation in North Carolina with my best friend and her family. One night my friend, her sister, her sister's friend and myself took a walk down to the pier that was near our house. Once we arrived at the pier we stayed for about 45 minutes just looking out into the ocean and walking together.

The walk back to our house was only about a seven or eight minute walk because we weren't too far away. It was around 11:30 PM and I know what you are all thinking "why are four girls out walking alone at that hour?" Well the truth is, we did not think much of it at the time. We were on vacation, and we were having a great time together, enjoying ourselves.

While walking back, a old white pick-up truck drove past us and I noticed something a little strange hanging off the back bed. It was dragging on the ground and I looked at my friend and said "Do you see that? It looks like a rope hanging out of the tail bed of the truck, that's strange." She agreed and we all continued walking. Soon we made our way past a public access area for anyone who wanted to enter the beach that did not have a house near by. We noticed that same white pick-up truck was parked and two men were standing beside it.

Immediately, I got a terrible feeling inside me. I looked at the rest of my friends and they all had the same look on their face. The two men looked at each other, nodded their heads and one jumped back in the pick-up truck to follow us, while the other began following us on foot. Immediately, my friend and I got in between her sister and her friend like they told us to so that if anything were to happen we could not be grabbed. They were trying to protect us since they were older.

Once we realized we were being followed, my friend got onto her phone and made a fake phone call pretending to call her mom saying, "Yeah we will be right there," thinking that if they saw one of us on the phone maybe they wouldn't try anything. My heart was pounding in my chest; I have never been so scared in my entire life. I didn't know what was going to happen and I didn't know what to expect. Shortly after my friend pretended to call someone, both the men turned around and stopped following us.

Ever since that day I realized that women in today's society need to always be aware of their surroundings. I always knew that I should constantly be on my guard because that is what my parents always taught me, but having this experience made me realize how easily a women can be taken advantage of and how real these types of situations are.

I've heard countless stories in the news about girls and women being raped and abducted but it never seems real to you until you are almost faced with a situation in which that could be you. Women in today's society always need to be on their guard. If you are in a situation where you get that feeling that something just doesn't feel right, immediately try to remove yourself. Trust your gut because most of the time it is right.

All four of us got that same exact feeling, and had we not of been aware of our surroundings this story could of ended in a much more tragic way. You can never know in today's society because there are very sick twisted people out there that prey on young women who are not cautious that make easy targets. Don't allow yourself to be an easy target. Take my story as an example to always be on your guard and to never doubt your gut feeling.

When you're of age and you're out at the bars with friends being a women you have to be extremely careful. You always have to be aware of what is going on around you and I'm sure you already know to never leave your drink. As soon as I started college my mom gave my sister and I mace to carry around with us, and I honestly laughed when she first gave it to me. Now I am so happy that I have that with me in case anything were to happen.

It is a sad thought that being a woman means we have to be more cautious on a day to day basis than a man has to be, but that is the reality. Like I said, if you are ever in a situation in which you get that same gut feeling my friends and I had in North Carolina, immediately try to remove yourself. Trust your gut; you're not being over dramatic, you're being smart.

I learned along with my other three friends to never be out walking alone that late at night, no matter how safe you feel. Whether you are out at the bars, the mall or just taking a walk around your neighborhood, you should always be aware of your surroundings and never allow yourself to be an easy target.