Why I Went Back To Film

Why I Went Back To Film

Don't throw out your old 35mm!

26
Why I Went Back To Film
Dominic Delore

What you are about to read is just a personal realization. Nothing more. Nothing less. I will not try to put down any artistic forms here, or try to claim one is better than the other. All art is unique and has strengths and weakness to its style respectively. What is this article about? It's about a return to something that used to be "basic" but ultimately is anything but that.

I have decided to start shooting on film again, not because I'm a hipster, or I think it's better quality, or I want to look cool when I stop to load my Nikon while out on the street. No, I mean, some of those things aren't bad right? Anyway, I as an artist love experimenting with different art forms. It's what we do and it is inherently in our nature. It is really easy to become bored doing the same thing over and over. Don't get me wrong I love writing rock music and creating soundscapes, but sometimes it is refreshing to play a Jazz chart. It's the point of variety. It adds to artistic integrity and skill for sure. The more tools on your belt, the better.

Again, getting back to the point; we all, (and by we, I mean the majority of folks born before 2000) have shot on film. This could mean 35mm, medium format, VHS, Super 8, etc. There are so many types of film in both the serious regard as well as the more basic such as Polaroid instants of parties, family vacations on Betamax, disposable wedding cameras, etc. The point being, there was a huge variety and ever emerging new formats of film for both movies and portraits.

We all took real photographs and film. Not a second thought was given. You load the roll, cartridge, whatever, and you are off. When it was finished, there was the air of excitement to get it developed because you did not know always what was going to come out of it (except with Polaroids and instant cameras). Did you capture that moment? Did the sun wash everything out? I could spend pages and pages getting into the whole science and art form of developing film, but that will be for another article.

So about a month ago I decided to buy a film camera and give it a shot (pun intended). I remember having basic 35mm as a kid and the thrill of getting to use my parent's good 35mm camera. I would always whine until my parents let me use our VHS camcorder, too. This whining was unfortunately recorded on video as well. It was just this magical experience, though. The fact that the object I was holding and looking through could take an image and then later view it. I still find it fascinating even in the world of digital photography. There is something to be said about the look and quality of film.

All you Instagrammers and vsco people with all the filters and lighting effects, did you know that those came from film? Those looks are modeled after types of cameras, both good and bad, and how the film was developed, again both "good" and "bad." I was realizing that a lot of newer media technology tries to replicate the old and vintage. I said to myself that I wanted to try the real thing and it would be an artistic learning experience. An experience it has been!

On my first roll of 36 photos, about six came out good! I was thrilled nonetheless! I have since then completed about three more rolls and I am waiting to have them developed. I am hoping that I will have a few more good ones. I will include the ones that I like the best in the bottom of this article. After visiting home for a few days I looked through the old family photos and found the ones that I took when I was six or seven. I've got to say, I may have been a better shot then! All jokes aside, my old camera was always at a fixed focus. My new one is actually a professional SLR from the late 1970s—big difference.

To wrap things up, all I have to say is go experiment with art! For me, it is music and photography that are my canvas. For others it is drawing, painting, sculpting, etc. Do all of it! I have tried all those beautifully ways of artistic expression and they rock! I still paint with my water colors and cray-pas from time to time. Find something that is fun yet challenging for you and just have a blast. Who cares how professional it looks?! If you are having fun and are expressing your creative side then that is what counts!