Why we want to be nurses
Life Stages

Here Are the REAL reason we want to Be Nurses

Hint: It's not for the money.

210
Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

College is challenging, it pushes you to your absolute limits and tests you in ways that go far beyond the classroom.

College students spend most days in class and then most nights hitting the books to do it all again. There is no such thing as an "easy" major and often times students change their major a time or two. Nursing is major many are drawn towards, and as many go through the prerequisite course they may find themselves a bit discouraged.

Worried that maybe there not cut out for this or worried that they won't be able to do it. But I am a firm believer that when your stressed and wondering if this is the right path for you. To look at why you started. I asked nursing students why they wanted to be a nurse, here are few of there responses.

"When I was younger I always enjoyed taking care of people. I didn't know until about 10th grade that I wanted to be a nurse. When I worked in a hospital the nurses were absolutely amazing and truly cared about their patients more than any healthcare worker. When I saw the relationship, they had with their patients I knew it was the right job for me." - Sabrina

"I want to be a nurse because God called me to heal the hurting and love on those who need it! I changed my major multiple times to try to avoid the nagging in my head that nursing was the path I should have been on from the beginning. Then I worked in a nursing home and my boss called me into her office and told me out of the blue, that I should go into nursing. 2 days later I changed my major." - Haley

"I always knew I wanted to help people. My childhood consisted of many doctors' appointments, and I decided then that I wanted to be part of the medical field and help kids have a better experience when at the hospital. Its been pediatric nursing ever since for me. I want to make a difference for kids who don't always have it the easiest and become the nurse nine-year-old me needed." - Bailey

"I want to help others and make a difference in the lives of many" – Sarah

"I want make a difference as cliché as that sounds. I aspire to be the person that patients can go to when they not only have a medical problem but any problem." – Abby

Here's my response:

"I want to be a nurse because it will give the power to help more people and be able to give back. To be able to make a patient laugh even though there in a hospital, and be there rock. To be the nurse that inspired me to take the leap of faith and do it."

My dad told me one night when I was getting frustrated "Nothing good in life is going to come easy." No matter what your major is, if your frustrated and questioning yourself. Find the reason why you wanted to do it and first place, and remind yourself it may not always come easy for you but it will be worth it in the end.