To The Girl Hesitating To Chase Her Dreams

Tomorrow may never come.

236
Chelsea Sakow

“I need to get back behind the camera and see the world,” she told me. “The fire has been lit and I don’t think it will ever dull again… Those other photographers, they’re older and more experienced and they are ACTUAL photographers who make money. And one day I WILL get there. But I just have to believe in myself. I’ll get there one day, right? I’m not great, but I’m learning.”

I read her words and I felt like I was listening to myself a year ago.

“Why wait?” I asked her. “Make ‘one day’ today. Start chasing your dreams now.” And I began throwing idea’s out there to get herself rolling.

“I didn’t think I was that good. But honestly, I’m not that bad at all.” And then she said “Thank you for believing me.”

And I heard her. I really knew how she felt. Because I didn’t believe in myself once either.

A year ago, when I applied to be a writer, I didn’t think I would make it. It was just a dream, maybe I wasn’t good at it, my professors never used my paper as an example, nobody really read what I wrote before. I would pour my heart and soul into a meaningful text message, testing the waters to see if I was any good, but they never responded to my writing the way I hoped. Nobody really believed in me, told me I was good enough, told me I should write anything for anyone. I had to high of expectations, it was just a dream that I’ll never be able to make reality.

But whatever, right? I’ll send in an application.

I spent hours writing my sample piece when they responded, asking for one. I had multiple people read through it, I poured my heart and soul into it. My dream was so close, I couldn’t let it slip through my fingertips. I checked my email at least 45 times the next day, waiting to see if they liked my sample. Waiting to see if I was good enough. Waiting for anything.

Fast forward 365 days, to right this second.

You’re reading these words because I was good enough. I was not only accepted, but have become Editor-In-Chief for my team. Thousands of people have read my words, and this is only the beginning.

It was hard, because I didn't think anyone believed in me. Yeah, my mom believed in me, and I used to say "she believes I can take on the world, so she doesn't really count." I wanted somebody who wasn't my mom to believe in me. To push me past my limits, to challenge me outside my boundaries, to force me to be a better version of myself. But I never really had that, so I had to be that for myself.

The first step to chase your dreams is to believe in yourself, and that can be hard when you don't think anyone else believes in you. So let me tell you something to get you started: I believe in you. You're capable. You can be the next success story, how you came from nothing to something in a week. No dream is too big, no obstacle is to large, nothing can stop you. You can do this.

So now that you have me, there's two more things I have to ask:

1. Why wait until tomorrow when tomorrow will never come?

2. Why wait for some day when you have today?

So what, somebody else has more experience. How do you think they got there? Nothing is handed to us on a silver platter, you have to work for it. Really work for it.Stop comparing yourself to other people. You are you, and nobody can be you. You have to put yourself out there. You can’t be afraid of rejection. You have to be okay with rejection, and not let the fear of rejection stop you from reaching for your goals.

I used to say “one day” because other things were holding me back. Other people, other opportunities, other jobs, my family. But I was wrong, I was just afraid of letting go of what I had and what was comfortable for something new. Yeah, I wanted it. I wanted it bad, but I didn’t want to lose everything else too. But NOT stepping outside your comfort zone won’t get you where you want to be.

Writing these articles aren’t my biggest goal in life, but it’s the stepping stone to get there. I will continue to stop saying “one day” and always say “today”. I won’t take no for an answer, I’ll march past fear when he stands in my way, I’ll battle my demons and I will win.

And so will you.

She is a great photographer. I’m a great writer. You are great at whatever you do.

So see the world, write a novel, take a million pictures, start a website, launch a company, apply to nursing school, change your major, submit an application for that job, jump at opportunities, don't say no, try new things. Don't wait for tomorrow, you have today.

So get out there, adventure is waiting.