Why I Traveled So Far For School Without Looking Back

And why, without over thinking, you can too.

9
Francesco Gallarotti

I was born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts. With divorced parents, at an early age my dad remarried and resided in New Hampshire. Throughout my entire childhood, I was spending nights and weekends in both New England states, along with vacation weeks at my lake house in Maine. Pretty much, i'm as Yankee pro-New England as one can get.

Then I decided I was going far for college. Of course, I looked at Florida and California, because who doesn't think about studying there -- endless vacation? Until my mom slammed the day dream with a hit of reality, saying I couldn't just go there because everyone wants to vacation all through college. So then I really sat down and thought about it.

And never ended up anywhere. I mean, 50 states, and over 1,800 schools to chose from. How does somebody even make that decision? I'll tell you, despite it not helping you or your teenage child whatsoever. I was about to jump in the shower, after a lecture from my mom on what I was going to do for the next four years of my life, when I saw a magazine for college campuses on the counter. So, like anyone would do, I let the hot water run for an hour while I looked through it. And as soon as I flipped to the page, I knew. The University of Mississippi.

I immediately saw a page full of navy and red, football stadium action shots, campus fountains and brick buildings covered in tulips and I never even considered other options. I applied to a total of 12 schools, all in New England, and never visited one. I was set on Mississippi. Any question you could think of, "Why not ____? Why Ole Miss? That's so random!" And I never truly have an answer.

Without ever being to the state, or visiting the school before orientation -- I attended Ole Miss for freshman year, and am packing up to go back for sophomore.

I've learned it truly does depend on the kind of person you are. I didn't know the first name of a single person in the state, places to eat, who I would be living with. I honestly didn't even know I could make such a change myself, and I was never once nervous about it. My family would ask me "What if they don't talk to you or like you cause you're not from the South." "Aren't you scared you might not find friends?" "What if you hate it!" "Isn't that far away? You don't care about traveling that much!?"

Yes, the traveling can feel long, and it would be nice to be an hour away if something bad had happened at home. But I never have these thoughts in my head. I never thought, well, what if no one likes me? I'm not one to change who I am for someone to like me, so that wasn't something I felt to ever do. I've always been personable, outgoing, and easy to converse with those I don't know. I wasn't worried about friends or travel or not liking it. I was never nervous, I just was simply thankful for having the opportunity to do something different, thankful in myself for not being worried or concerned with small matters.

And today, after a year of packing myself up, and flying to Mississippi, I am truly at my happiest. I met two of my best friends from Nashville, Tennessee who lived across the hall in my dorm. I didn't join a sorority, and no, I don't plan on it. I went to Tennessee countless times, and am great friends with their friends, even in a group message currently blowing up my phone while I sit on the beach in Massachusetts and they're discussing where to eat on Bourbon St. Believe it or not, my roommate from Texas and I fought so bad first semester she was forced to move out, and I had a single dorm second semester. I hung out with guys, girls, traveled to colleges for SEC football games, and spent spring break in Florida with six girls all from different states. I flew home for winter break, and for summer.

Now my two best friends are flying up from Nashville to stay in Boston for the week, and make the 20-hour drive back to school with me so I can have my car.

This article isn't to tell you my life, or college story (although that's what the majority was,) but to inform girls and guys that you never want to regret a choice like college in life. Whether it be staying home, or traveling. Nothing is permanent. If you travel and hate it, it's a hassle but you can transfer. If you love it against all odds (which this story basically sums up) you'll appreciate life every day and look forward to school for the first time since probably the first day of kindergarten.

After this whole autobiography, summed up, it has been done. Apply to the random school that no one thinks you'll attend, make the friends you didn't get to have in high school, let your university turn you into the ultimate football/baseball fan. Wear your colors with pride and show off that you do things most wouldn't even try. Travel to every football game with your best friends and see something you'll never get to see again. Do something different, something extraordinary.