Why Emotional Support Animals Are Awesome

Animals have been proven to help reduce anxiety, would you want one to help you?

3
Kara Hickey

Many people, including myself, struggle with some form of anxiety and/or depression, and have yet to find that one thing that helps them get out of it. Fortunately, there is something or a little someone who can help mellow out those horrible feelings... Emotional support animals.

Two of my good friends both suffer from anxiety and depression. Both of them have their own emotional support animals to help them get through rough times while they are in school. Unfortunately, it is not as easy as it should be to acquire an animal like this. Due to lots of regulations within schools, animals are technically not allowed. One must apply within the university and give a valid explanation as to why they should be allowed to have one, and have a psychologist's recommendation for the animal. If approved, the campus will usually tell you what kind of animal you can and cannot have on campus. From there, your new friend will have a home.

What I find interesting about emotional support animals is that they are already trained in this line of work. But, they aren't trained in YOU yet. So, you have to spend quality one on one time with your new friend, which is awesome! The ability to spend an entire week with just you and your new pet, is seriously something that everyone would love to do, especially on a college campus.

The concept behind these animals is amazing. They are there for you when you need them, and they are there to help you get through your rough times. I always wish I had tried to get one, but hey, it's not too late. I think everyone should be aware of this option for those in need, because the animals need a home, too!