Why There's No Free Water In Europe, And Other Cultural Differences

The lessons I brought back from abroad

6739
Rachael Cohen

The best way to study cultural differences is to examine them up-close and personal, and studying abroad gives you the opportunity to do just that. Going abroad puts you in a different culture for months at a time, with the added opportunity of traveling on weekends to experience other cultures.

I’ve been back from being abroad for about four months now, and I’ve completely adjusted back to the American way of life. But after four months in Spain and several trips to other countries, there are definitely noticeable differences between American and European cultures. Here are what I consider the weirdest differences between our cultures.

Bathrooms in Portugal

Guess what? There’s no such thing as a public restroom in Portugal. And this isn’t like the “restroom for paying customers only,” kind of deal. You are literally unable to enter any place where there is a toilet if you do not slip a coin into a slot. I think that this violates a basic human right and basically forces people who can’t afford bathrooms to break laws of inappropriate public displays, but Europe, you do you.

Water in Italy

Water. Agua. H20. Another basic human need, right? Well, apparently, wrong. Water in restaurants in Italy is not free, not even if you ask for tap water. The waiters will look at you like there’s a tree sprouting from your face if you raise the question. Paying for bottled water is the only option for hydration. Due to this injustice, we settled for carrying around plastic water bottles.

Beer in Spain

The water problem isn’t as intense in Spain, as they will serve you tap water if you ask for it (a weird glance will still ensue). But if you do have to pay for a beverage, you might as well order beer, which is cheaper than bottled water. Beer should be declared the national drink of Spain, because the light, barely-alcoholic substance is what will be filling your glass every time you go out.

Street signs

Once you’re good and tipsy from the beer, try finding your way around the city (in my case, this city was Sevilla). It is insanely difficult to navigate in Spain because their street signs are actually tiles, called azulejos, that are plastered to the sides of buildings. Sometimes they’ll be at the corner of a building, but sometimes not. It’s easier to navigate on foot, but I can’t even begin to imagine driving in that city, especially with all of the one-way only streets.

Eating schedule

One aspect of Spanish life that I was resistant to is their eating schedule. Breakfast is normal enough, with a piece of toast and coffee eaten around 9 a.m. (though I could’ve used some fruit or protein). But then comes second breakfast around 11 a.m., which is just more of the same. Why eat again so close to lunch?, one would think. Well, one should know that the Spanish don’t eat lunch until about 2:30 p.m., which pushes dinner to around 9 or even 10 p.m. If you’re wondering about siesta, that usually comes after lunch. While I did enjoy that this eating schedule seemed to make my day longer, I couldn’t help but wonder how eating so late can be healthy. Spain apparently has the second-highest life expectancy in the world, despite the late meals, the alcohol, and the cigarettes.

Tipping at restaurants

Not only do Europeans have different dining hours, but different dining manners. If you find yourself anywhere that uses the euro, you’ll be quick to learn that the euro only goes toward your check, not a tip. No one tips in Europe. As a polite and well-mannered American, this change (no pun intended) was weird for me. But once you experience the rude tendencies of European waiters, you’ll know why you don’t leave any of your euros behind.

Greeting with a kiss

This last societal tendency might catch you off guard if you’re not prepared. Europeans don’t typically meet and greet with a handshake, they go straight for your face with a kiss on each cheek, often referred to as besitos, or little kisses. This ritual has it’s positives and negatives. On the plus side, it immediately brings you closer to whoever you are meeting. It’s scientifically proven that forging physical contact when first meeting someone establishes more trust. It also brings you that much closer to attractive men. On the other hand, situations can immediately become awkward if someone hesitates or tries to give unwarranted besitos. If you’re ever meeting someone new in a European setting, make sure the path to your cheeks is clear. You never know when the opportunity is going to present itself.

Getting the opportunity to go abroad and learn about all of these cultural differences for myself was an incredible experience. Still, I have to say, it is much more comfortable living back here in America, where I know the water is free, the restrooms are public, and a 15 percent tip is basically mandatory. It’s all worth it when there’s ice in your glass and your waiter actually smiles at you.