Why There Is No Place Like Home

Why There Is No Place Like Home

Dorothy had it right

85
Why There Is No Place Like Home

My entire life I had no idea how I was going to make it through college. I would be lying if I said I have never said this before - “Mom, is it okay if I go to online college and live in the basement?” As ecstatic as my mom was, that clearly was not the best idea. That being said, my home was my safe place and I never wanted to leave. It was a place where I felt comfortable, a place where nothing could hurt me, a place where the people I love most are. I am here to tell why Dorothy from The Wizard of OZ was right, there is truly no place like home.

1. Home welcomes you with open arms after being away

After being gone for 9-10 months out of the year at school, home is always waiting for you with open arms. It is always a comforting place that is going to accept you no matter what you are going through. It is the place where you can always come back regardless of the reason for leaving. Being home gives you a sense of satisfaction and relief that is always going to be there for you. It doesn’t care why you left or for how long, it’s been waiting for you to return exactly how you left it.

2. Family

My family is something that is so close to me. I wouldn’t be where I am today without them and that is why, for me, there is no place like home. My family is always going to be there to support me and welcome me back no matter how long I’m away from them. It doesn’t matter how many pointless arguments we might get into when we’re together because at the end of the day my family is the one who will always be by my side. There is truly nothing better than coming home from school and being able to spend time with them.

3. Be there for you when you’re down

After a long day at school/work/etc., your home is always going to be there to lift your spirits in certain ways when you are down. It could be as simple as going to your room to lie down in your bed after a long day, but that small act could turn your whole day around. There’s a sense of comfort and familiarity that comes along with being home. You have known it all your life and it knows you better than any other place in the world.

4. Sense of belonging

There is no place like home because that is where you belong. My parents have been trying to discuss moving to the next town over or purchasing a smaller house for all of us and it always ends up turning into an argument. I’ve been living in my home since I was born; I literally don’t know anything else. I don’t want to have to leave my new college environment to return to a house I am unfamiliar with. College has been an incredibly difficult adjustment for me being that I’m unfamiliar with the environment, so when I come home it’s relieving because I know I am where I’m meant to be.

5. Be Yourself

Many people believe they have to be someone they’re not in order to fit in, being at home all you have to do is be yourself. No one is judging you and no one is telling you that you have to be a certain way. Your identity was formed in your house and essentially created you as a person. It’s a place where you can feel comfortable to be who you really are.

6. The light at the end of the tunnel

No matter where you are in your life, or where you’re trying to go, your home is going to be there for you. Many people struggle with countless amounts of issues over the years that are very hard to deal with. Regardless if it’s at work, at school, with friends, etc. the light at the end of the tunnel is always going to be home. You can always look forward to going home after a difficult day because you know that is where you’re going to start to feel better.

Being away at college, I have learned to value my home so much more. I have realized how much it truly means to me and without it, a piece of me would feel lost. I am so glad there is a place I can go back to no matter, where I am in my life or what I am going through.

It also doesn’t hurt that being home provides you with good food and a comfy bed... so that’s always a plus.