Why The Little Things In Life Matter Most

The little things in life will help you accomplish the big things.

3796
Delaney Jones

I know we've all heard the saying, "It's the little things in life that matter the most." I also know that there are plenty of people who say, "How can little things have such an impact if they're so small?" There are many reasons why I believe that little things in life are most important. Whether it's an action, an item, or the way you treat another person, the little things are what hold us accountable and teach us the value of life.

"If you can't do the little things right, you'll never be able to do the big things right." You may have heard this quote from the commencement speech given by Navy Seal commander William H. McRaven at The University of Texas at Austin. If you need more inspiration after reading this article, the link is here. If you are unable to take care of your things or can't do simple tasks for yourself or other people, how do you expect to be able to take care of a home and a family one day? I find this to be most important when someone else is relying on you for something. For example, if your boss needs you to accomplish a small task and you forget, how is that going to go over with your boss? There's a reason why attention to detail is such a valued trait from an employer's perspective.

Accomplishing the little things will increase your productivity. Doing a bunch of small things on your to-do list can make you feel better about how much you've accomplished throughout your day. For example, every Sunday I like to make a to-do list of work and personal things that need to be done during the week. Each day, I refer back to my planner to cross off what I have finished, and it feels great to check numerous items off my list. On Friday, I look back on what I've gotten done and it makes me feel great about myself. Even if all the tasks I've finished are small errands, it feels good to know I put my time to use and made my week a little easier in the long run.

Taking time to think of others will not only make them feel better, but will make you feel better. Let's not forget that little things matter when it comes to taking care of others as well, not just yourself. Planning ahead is crucial when it comes to this. Nothing makes me happier than when I spend time buying or making a present for someone, and seeing the look on their face when they receive it. The best way to do this is to plan ahead, and notice tiny details about other people. Not only will this make others realize how much you care because of the thoughtfulness you put towards the task they asked you to complete or a gift you gave them, but it will in turn put you in a positive mood.

Don't only worry about completing the little tasks, but focus on noticing the tiny details of life. Through any of the struggles you may face in life, no matter how much you have on your plate, never forget to notice the beautiful details of life. Whether it's while you're on a walk around campus, spending time with family and friends, or working hard to accomplish what is on your own to-do list, don't forget what is truly important in life. The most important thing to take care of is yourself. Above all things, your mental, physical, and emotional health are more crucial than anything else. The best way to stay organized and keep yourself on track is to work on completing the little tasks in order to become better at the bigger tasks. Once you have that completed, you will be a better you.