Why The Geller Siblings Are The Worst

Why The Geller Siblings Are The Worst

Their parents weren't much of a treat, either.

202
Why The Geller Siblings Are The Worst
Digital Spy

As a summer impulse, I decided to watch Friends for the second time. It’s one of my favorite shows but as I got into it again I realized how much I sometimes hated the characters. The guys of the group constantly objectify women and the women don’t do anything to stop it. The women do the same if we’re being honest, often times pursuing relationships just because of looks. While all the characters have their moments of awfulness I wanted to focus on the two worst characters on the show and lucky for me, they’re siblings.

Now you may not agree but in my opinion, Monica and Ross Geller are the worst characters on the show. They had a funky relationship since day one. Their parents had a clear favorite, they dated each other's best friends and even as adults they still had a horribly strong rivalry. I personally don’t have siblings so I can’t say I understand the sibling rivalry stuff, but it sometimes seemed very extreme. Their parents didn’t help this either.

Out of the whole gang, we see the Geller parents the most and they are also the worst. I guess the apple really doesn’t fall far from the tree. They completely disregard Monica, constantly believing she’ll never be good enough to get married. They blowing all her wedding money on a beach house which is not the most parental thing to do. I actually do feel bad for Monica over this and the fact that no one seems to ever congratulate her on losing weight. Instead, they remind her that she was overweight and unpopular. On the flip side, they treat Ross like a prince. Which, let’s be real, he isn’t. Not in the least.

The parents' attention or lack thereof are why they make everything about themselves all the time. Ross is used to too much attention while Monica is constantly striving for recognition. When they’re fighting with someone they never let the other person get a word in. Instead, the Geller siblings assume they are correct and talk right over the person who may be trying to explain the situation.

We see this in Monica on the night of her engagement. I get not wanting anyone to steal your thunder when you get engaged but the way she reacted to a kiss almost ruined her and Rachel’s entire friendship. If she reacted this much to Ross and Rachel kissing on the day of her engagement then why didn’t she react this much on her wedding day when everyone found out Rachel was pregnant?? I’d be a little more upset about that.

Ross also uses this technique to almost ruin his relationship with Rachel at the very end of the series. When Rachel is saying her goodbyes to everyone before leaving for Paris Ross became upset that Rachel never gave him a goodbye and screamed at her about how it meant she didn’t love him.

Instead of letting her speak he storms out requiring Rachel to trek across the street in the middle of preparing to leave to tell him that he was wrong and she didn’t say goodbye because she loved him too much. This may be reason enough for me not to like the Geller siblings but I say let’s explore deeper, shall we?

First, let’s tackle Monica. I would dare to call her the lesser of two evils. (Sidenote, I know that Monica has a huge fanbase and many people believe that she is the best character on Friends but this is just my opinion.) As a laid back person, I was constantly stressed by Monica’s need to control everything.

Take Phoebe’s wedding for example. Phoebe put Monica in charge and the power went to her head. Having things planned down to the minute is pretty extreme. Not to mention that Phoebe planned out what we can only assume was an amazing heartfelt speech to Mike that kept getting rudely interrupted by Monica tapping her watch.

While we’re on the topic of weddings I feel I should mention Ross and Emily’s wedding. More specifically Emily’s wedding dress. While picking up the dress, the shop attendant mistakes Monica for Emily and asks if she would like to try the dress on, which she does. Then later while she’s alone in her apartment she puts it on again.

Throughout the rest of the episode, she keeps ending up back in the dress and is ultimately joined by Phoebe and Rachel. Monica putting on the dress is pretty hypocritical because she wears the dress to boost her own self-confidence and I’m pretty sure if someone did that with Monica’s wedding dress you’d never hear from that person again.

Lastly, I want to discuss how great Aunt Monica is. When the gang finds out that Carol is pregnant Monica immediately gets excited about being fun Aunt Monica. However, there is the whole “Monica bang” fiasco. While babysitting Ben, Monica and he play a game which leads to her hitting Ben’s head on the ceiling.

Instead of checking if he was okay and maybe even bringing him to a hospital she goes into “how can I hide this from Ross mode.” She took that situation where her nephew could have been seriously hurt and made it about her and how she could avoid getting in trouble.

Next Ross. There is a general consensus that Ross is the worst character on the show as a whole. In fact, while I was looking up reasons for why everyone hated Ross(and trust me there are a lot), I came across a few Ross Geller hate blogs on Tumblr. First, let’s start with something that should have been no big deal but ended up having a few episodes dedicated to it. The male nanny, the manny if you will.

Sandy was a genuinely good person who was incredible with Emma but that wasn’t good enough for Ross. He was unable to wrap his head around a guy taking care of children because it’s not a “manly” job. He wasn't concerned with what was best for his kid, what mattered the most was the social constructs put forth by society that say women deal with the children. Blatant sexism.

While we're talking about Ross’s kids we should probably discuss Ben again. Once we find out that Rachel is pregnant with Emma, it is the last we hear of Ben. There is no talk of Ben’s feelings about having a half a sister. In fact, do we even know if Ross told Ben or Carol or Susan? (I have to assume he did). I just find the whole thing strange. I googled it to see if producers or writers for the show had commented on it since the end of the series and there was nothing.

However, there are some fans that theorize that all of Ross’s weird antics, dating his student, jealousy, and the possible anger issues, lead to Carol taking full custody of Ben. This is clearly not backed by anyone but it is an interesting point and would explain why we don’t see Ben in the last few seasons of the show.

Finally, how can we not talk about the greatest question throughout the entire series- were they or weren’t they on a break?! I won’t get into that specifically, but I am going to focus on the whole reason for the fight- Ross thinking only about what he wanted and refusing to leave Rachel’s office after she asked him to which then lead to him sleeping with the copy place girl.

Now, let's think about it. Ross had loved Rachel since high school. He finally got her after 10 years of wanting her and he can’t wait one night for both of them to calm down. The very next morning Rachel was ready to fix things and everything would have been fine if he could have kept it together one more night. Maybe Ross did have unresolved anger issues.

Yes, every character on Friends had their flaws and maybe I’ll look into all the characters eventually but clearly I have strong feelings about the Geller siblings and family as a whole. I didn’t even really touch on Ross’s jealousy of Mark, Ross not getting his marriage to Rachel annulled because he didn’t want to have three divorces, and the weird underlying incest that seems to be popular when you google their names. All in all they’re probably the biggest hot messes of any sitcom. Ever.