Why 'The Disaster Artist' Is Genius

Why 'The Disaster Artist' Is Genius

“The Disaster Artist” takes us on the journey of how the beloved, insanely quotable film “The Room” was conceived.

195
Why 'The Disaster Artist' Is Genius
Flickr

Tommy Wiseau’s, “The Room,” is a disastrous movie like no other. It’s cult following only seems to be increasing with the release of “The Disaster Artist,” directed by Golden Globe winner, James Franco, bringing “The Room’s” legacy full circle.

“The Disaster Artist” takes us on a journey of how the beloved, insanely quotable film, “The Room,” was conceived. Hearing lines like “You’re tearing me apart, Lisa!” and “ Oh, hi Mark,” in the theater is enticing alone, but seeing Tommy’s journey brought to life is priceless. So, who is Tommy?

We may not know his age, origin, or even where his money comes from, but it’s safe to say we’ve seen his vision. We all have our dreams; some may be so big we’re embarrassed to say them aloud. Tommy shows dreamers everywhere that you have to believe in yourself and the strength of your dreams. Sometimes you just have to go for it.

Tommy's costar and friend, Greg Sestero, wrote “The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made,” which led them to the blockbuster directed by James Franco.

The movie adaptation isn’t just something a screenwriter fabricated - it’s their story. Even the jokes were based on real life; Tommy had a habit of forgetting lines, Johnny was initially going to be a vampire and those tantrums Tommy had done in fact occur.

The film felt so organic with actors seeming to be the people they are emulating, especially director and producer, James Franco. He went as far as directing the cast in costume and in character as Tommy. Members of the cast had to be warned that they were going on to a strange set of scenes.

Halfway through "The Disaster Artist," it became apparent that the film the characters were creating wasn’t going to be a critically acclaimed Oscar winner, to say the least. The headspace of Tommy suddenly became real. “The Room” didn’t just feel like a movie that we characterize as a drama and comedy, but his hard work and dedication as well. Most of all, his dream became realized.

While "The Disaster Artist" is a comedy, it was surprisingly uplifting. It’s not just about the making of “The Room,” but also the bond shared between Tommy and Greg. Even now, you can see that they have a close friendship that transcended so many years. In life, it’s rare to find life-long friendships.

From the start, they supported each other and made up for what the other lacked. Who knew they would be where they are today.

"The Disaster Artist" was able to connect so many different elements to make a movie many enjoy, regardless of if they are familiar with "The Room." It's a different type of comedy and story that was told. It feels like we were apart of its history as Franco's portrayal of Tommy earned a Golden Globe.

Entering Tommy's headspace is unforgettable. If you're wondering what Tommy was going to say during the ceremony, wish granted:

"If a lot of people loved each other, the world would be a better place to live.”

You may call him crazy, but that's a damn good message if you ask me.