Why I Thank God For the Sunset

Why I Thank God For the Sunset

Psalm 113:3 "From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the Lord is to be praised."

969
Why I Thank God For the Sunset
Grace Wegleitner

I can thank God for the beautiful summer sunsets I’ve been enjoying while driving home at dusk or gazing at in the midst of a perfect walk to finish off my day. There is something so captivating about the beauty of a sunset. So magnificent yet serene. Welcoming, loving and absolutely content. There is something about the sunset that makes me feel God's love.

As the sun is setting, there is a moment that hangs on and on before the final rays actually disappear. I love this moment. And when the sun finally slips from view, it’s like taking a breath after realizing you’ve been holding onto the last one. A great, promising, new breath of fresh air. Then the reality of the night takes over, and just like that the sunset is gone.

But while these sunsets last, it offers us a great opportunity, a prayer of sorts. A chance to reflect on the day and especially to be grateful for everything we have. A chance to just slow down, breathe and love this life you’re living. These are the beautiful moments in which I thank God and remember how truly blessed and fortunate I am.

It is the time I look back on my day. Whether good or bad, I can look back and decide what parts I want to carry over to tomorrow. I’ll remember the good things and stash the memories, and I’ll let the negative ones disappear like the last rays of light.

So, I thank God every day for the sunset. For the opportunity to set aside a minute of my day to just enjoy. And I go to sleep each night with faith that I’ll see another beautiful sunset tomorrow.