Why Technology is Good

Why Technology is Good

"You kids and your rock 'n' roll!"

9
Why Technology is Good
MacWorld

Recently, I've been hearing a lot of older folk complaining about us "kids" and our "technology." While I agree with some points, such as losing face-to-face connection with people around us because of our phones, I think there are multiple reasons why our technology is helping rather than hurting when it's used correctly.

1. More efficient learning

From our SMART Boards, to our computers, to yes, our precious phones. SMART Boards are obvious in that they were created for the sole purpose of learning and being more hands on, but our computers and phones have gotten a bad reputation. Computers are not solely used for YouTube or Netflix or HBO Go, and phones are not only used for texting, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter. Although these apps are what most people use while on their iPhones or computers, the older generations forget that these devices still have internet access–in other words, THE WORLD AT YOUR FINGERTIPS. We can easily look up the answer to a question we might have at any given moment. If that's not incredibly useful, then I don't know what is.

2. Keeping connected

Although we may not be connecting face-to-face with people in our daily lives 24/7, we're tending other relationships–with online friends, or long distance relationships. Just because you're not face-to-face with someone, it doesn't mean that the relationship you have with that person is automatically invalid, it just means that you can't be with that person at this point in time, and you're keeping your relationship strong by keeping in contact. In fact, FaceTime is an amazing app for long distance relationships. I can say from first-hand experience that it definitely helped my relationship with my boyfriend who goes to school 2 hours away from me.

3. Saving trees

Paper is used on the daily in so many different ways, which is great, I guess. But if we can save a few trees with writing on a laptop or sharing a picture through the internet, I don't see the problem.

So next time I hear an older person say, "those damn phones" or "those damn computers," I will throw my phone and computer away. And don't go asking, "where are you?" or "how did you not hear about [insert major news event here]?" or "why didn't you do your homework?" when I do, because:

I couldn't text.

I couldn't call.

I couldn't read about the news event until I got my hands on the newspaper.

I couldn't get the email.

and I couldn't type up my paper.