Why Summer Sucks As A College Student

Why Summer Sucks As A College Student

College, it's just ahead.

110
Why Summer Sucks As A College Student
Northwest College Support

For us, college students, the last week of school is a nightmare. It doesn't matter how many times you look at a calendar, finals week always seems to sneak up from behind. More coffee is consumed than showers taken and it is perfectly normal to have a complete mental breakdown in the library at 3 a.m. Everyone is walking around in a delusional state, breaking into hysterical laughter in between moments of extreme panic.

The last week of school, for grades K-12, is a cakewalk. Long days are spent watching Youtube videos on your teacher's projector, having a fiesta (or a siesta) in Spanish class, taking your locker decorations down, not having to dress for gym class, and sentimentally signing "Have a great summer!" and your name (i's dotted with hearts of course) into everyone's yearbook. As the week goes on, anticipation for the final bell mounts. Sitting on the edge of your seat in your final period, the clock strikes three and sparks a stampede. All the girls squeal and all the boys throw their school supplies over the balcony, snickering as the dean threatens detention. What time is it?

The last week of school comparison carries over; college summer breaks are significantly worse than K-12 summer breaks and here's why

1. Your friends live in far away places.

In grade school, anyone you could have possibly wanted to hang out with most likely lived within a 20-minute radius of your home. In college, you're lucky if one of your friends even lives within 20 miles of your house.

2. You have an unpaid internship.

It's no doubt that internships are essential for networking and gaining experience in your career field. However, having to work your butt off for 20+ hours a week while making no money is discouraging.

3. You need to resort back to your dead end high school job, because of your unpaid internship.

You thought your days of flipping burgers and dealing with difficult customers were over. Maybe you even gave your managers/coworkers a piece of your mind before quitting... dramatically. Now, you have to go back with your tail between your legs to the minimum wage job you swore you never were going to return to, and you're probably the oldest one there now.

4. The freedom you experience at school magically vanishes.

At school, no one is there to tell you that you can't lay in bed all day, binge-watching an entire season of "Shameless" on Netflix. There's an adjustment period upon coming home where you realize you are going to have to start functioning like a productive member of society again.... you know, doing chores, being responsible, and not ordering Rice Cafe at four a.m.

5. Major jealousy and FOMO.

With a demanding work schedule and nonexistent bank account, I personally cannot do very many 'fun' things in the summer. Every Instagram post from Lollapalooza or studying abroad pours salt in the wound and makes you feel like life is going on without you when honestly, your friends' summers are probably just as boring as yours (in between the posts you see).

6. Summer School

Unless you want to take 21 credit hours next semester, you're going to probably need to knock out a couple of courses in the summer. Don't worry, the closest community college is most likely an hour away and the only time slot left meets four times a week at 7:30 a.m.

7. The Unpredictable Weather

Planning on going to the pool? 60-degree weather and a monsoon for you.

Planning on having a nice day in the city? Heat wave. Frizzy hair, melted makeup, sweat stains, and having to push through crowds of equally smelly strangers is definitely going to ruin your day.

While summer does have its perks, is it time to go back to Purdue yet?