Why Staying In-State For College Isn't Such A Bad Thing After All

Staying close to home has its perks.

17
Facebook

Senior year of high school is full of goodbyes, last games, last dances, and most importantly, college decisions. There is a large debate on whether to stay in-state for college or to go out-of-state for college.

Before my senior year, I always thought I was going to go across the country for college and get away from a town I have lived in for my whole life. But when senior year came around, I found myself wanting to stay in state (but still six or seven hours away) for college. I still wanted something different than my hometown, but I wanted to get away at the same time. However, not even a week before the deadline for colleges, I changed my mind (again). I found myself applying to my hometown college, which I never thought I would ever do.

I always told myself I did not and would not go to a college that was no more than 15 minutes away from the house I grew up in for the past 18 years. But it happened and I’ll be honest, after making the decision to attend my hometown college, I spent the summer constantly wondering if I made the right decision. But looking back at my decision after having finished my first year at my hometown college, I know I made the right decision after all without a doubt. The opportunities I have received by staying in my hometown for college are beyond what I could ever imagine. I did not have to take time to adjust to new surroundings, I never had to deal with homesickness, and it definitely was not as scary as it can be when you move to a new place where you don’t know anybody. By staying in my hometown I was able to jump feet-first into a campus I knew like the back of my hand.

Going to a college in my hometown did not make me run back to my parents every time I had a problem. I lived in a dorm my freshman year and learned how to live on my own just like all of my out-of-state friends. There were times when I felt alone and scared of being an adult but I got through it all. Staying in-state does not make person weak or make a person miss out on the “college experience” like some people believe. Staying in-state allows you to gain a new perspective of your hometown. Staying in-state allows you to build a closer relationship with your family. Staying in-state gives you the opportunity to get a jump-start on life from previous connections and allows you to grow into adulthood. Staying in-state gives you the opportunity to experience the freedom of an out-of-state university, but also allows you to be close to home.

These are just some opportunities that staying in-state for college has offered me. But here are seven more reasons why staying in-state for college has been the best thing to happen to me, probably some other people, and maybe even for you:

1. Mom and dad are just a short drive away

This is probably the best part about being so close to home. People go out of state to get away from their parents all the time, but once you're there long enough, you'll realize that you actually do need your parents sometimes. (Or all the time, if you're like me.)

2. You know the area

You don’t have to worry about: "Are we going the right way?"—"I don't know." Because you know the basics of the streets and the freeway.

3. You know where the best places to eat, shop, etc. are

I can't even begin to imagine moving somewhere and not knowing where the nearest mall is, the best pizza place, or even the closest grocery store.

4. You probably have been rooting for your hometown’s college your whole life

So it’s obviously meant to be.

5. Home-cooked meals

Because what’s better than mom’s cooking?

6. You don’t have to worry about booking flights or paying for plane tickets

Think about all of the money you save and can spend on more important things, like food and alcohol… sorry, mom.

7. You can go home and sleep in your bed any time you want

It doesn’t get much better than that.

I know that staying home for college is not for everybody. I also know that a lot of my friends that are away are having the time of their life and I couldn’t be happier for them that they have found their place, but just know that I am having a pretty great time too and know that staying home for college doesn’t always suck.

So here's to all of the kids that go to college in-state because I think you're pretty cool.