Why I Started A Blog

Why I Started A Blog

In summary, why not?

28
Why I Started A Blog

As a writer, often times it becomes difficult to find inspiration to write on a dime. I often do my best work at night, conveniently right when I’m about to fall asleep. I guess my brain is just hyperactive then. Lately I’ve found that it’s much easier to write without a structure, and to add your own style and voice to each piece you publish. Once I realized this, I spared no time and hopped online, knowing the accessibility of freelance writing platforms, such as this one. I went to Wordpress.com, took a shot in the dark, and started my own blog.

My dad told me that blogs are basically just digital diaries, so I guess that’s what I’ll be treating mine as. I get to write what I want, when I want, and that freedom, I believe, will cultivate a wide expanse of opportunities for me to practice my craft. And I guess it's kind of pretentious to call it a "craft," but I mean, it takes some level of skill- wouldn't you say?

Anyways, it's much easier to write about something personal than it is to write about some random topic. I love spilling my thoughts whether that be to people, on my notes, etc. Now, with a blog, I can do so to anyone who's willing to read it! I love to talk, as anyone who knows me probably knows. I am often the loudest one in a room. So for a change of pace, why not sit on my couch with a nice snack and type my thoughts away? Writing makes my hand hurt, and this is the future, so my laptop will be my utensil of choice.

What's cool about blogging is that it's a blank slate. Anybody can write about anything they want, whether that be social issues, cooking, or just randomness- like me. Blogging is truly the future of writing, which is really cool to me. Anybody with access to the internet can hop on and even go as far as to make a career out of sharing their words. I don't know if that's exactly my goal, but hey, anything can happen.

Blogging is so easy in this day and age, it's remarkable. Within a matter of minutes I logged onto a website, made an account, and had a blog up and running. It was that simple. Yes, there's extra plans and such you can add on, but at the heart of it, it's so easy, that apparently a dog can do it...

(Hey, Disney Channel. Do less.)

Now for a shameless plug: if you'd like to read anything other than the Odyssey articles I write, my blog is at emilychisick.wordpress.com. There's a contact form on there if you have any questions for me about blogging, life, etc. You can also just check out more of my writing and insights about life and other things, if you so choose.

Life is short. Go forth and blog. Your life matters and deserves to be shared. Someone will read it, and someone will enjoy it. And if not, do it for yourself! The possibilities are endless.