Why the Sophomore Slump Shouldn't Be a Thing

8

Congratulations, you've made it through your freshman year of college. There really is no use denying anymore that freshman year is over. What usually comes with the beginning of the second year is a slump of sorts. 

You are at that awkward stage where you're not exactly a wide-eyed innocent freshman, yet not entirely a been-there, done-that senior. You're no longer the bright shining beacon of promise that every club and group is clamoring for (cue "Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston). You're not actively pursuing a career path yet. It seems like there is not that much of a purpose for you to be in college other than just maintaining your GPA. But, don't think like that! Here are some reasons why sophomore year is a time to get pumped, not slumped:

1. Upperclassmen perks

Two major upperclassmen perks are getting out of freshman housing and the freshman meal plan. I know what some of you may be thinking: "But, like I totally loved my freshman hall, and the dining hall means no cooking!" The good thing about moving into a more apartment-style dorm is that it feels like you're living on your own. Do you want your own living room and kitchen? Yes, please. Do you want to gain the "Freshman 15"? No, thank you. 

2. A Sort-of-Expert

You've been at Penn for a year now, and you pretty much know what everyone should know—the best brunch spots, the worst BYOs, how to avoid getting MERTed, which festivals to go to, etc. But, you're not so old that there still aren't things to look forward to and explore (see #1). While SEPTA may have been a mystery freshman year, it's now an easy ride to new restaurants and clubs. And, taking Megabus to New York for the weekend is NBD. 

3. Club Star

Sure, freshmen get their pick of the litter when it comes to clubs, but they're diving into the pool headfirst. You, as a sophomore, have an advantage when it comes to clubs. You've gone through some clubs already and have chosen to either a) become official b) have a clean break or c) take time to see other groups. Once you're a junior or senior, there really are no more opportunities for exploring. Now is when you discover what clubs and interests really are the ones you want to invest in. 

4. Friends

The awesome thing about finishing your freshmen year is that you tend to have an established group of friends by this point, and who says upperclassmen can't make new friends? Freshmen attack every new person they meet with a strong sense of vigor and a slew of icebreaker questions. Sophomores understand that to make a new friend, you just introduce yourself and talk about what you watched on Netflix last night (or is that just me?). By this time, you probably already have those connections that can get you into the frat party you want. Three to one ratio? Oh please. 

5. Confidence 

Let's face it. When you're a sophomore, that's pretty much when your confidence should be at its peak. You already know your way around campus and have a set group of friends, but you still aren't extremely worried about what you're doing with your future (you're still worried, but I mean, that's just Penn). 

You're at the prime of your life and still have time to live it up. So, go out there and do just that!