Why Social Media Is Bullshit

Why Social Media Is Bullshit

Why have we let social media take over our lives?

1614
Why Social Media Is Bullshit

Why have we let social media take over our lives? Most of us, at least in my generation, let Facebook and Twitter influence us every single day. We are given this picture perfect ideal created by social media moguls and most of us are coaxed into thinking that this is how our lives should be or look like.

Well, that's bullshit.

Every single time I check my Facebook timeline, Twitter newsfeed, or Instagram feed, I see the same exact posts I see every single day. Pictures of incredible luxury as women with beautiful bodies pose with cars worth more than my home. Photos of attractive men and women posing as "relationship goals", even though they're not doing anything outstanding or worth entitlement of a goal at all. Has the generation of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West become superficial? According to social media, yes.

Social media is wonderful thing. It gives everyone a quick opportunity to stay in touch with close friends and family from all over the globe. It gives society a chance to connect in ways previously never thought of before. However, there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing can become bad", and I believe that is the case here.

Where along the lines of growing technology did social media become a joke? Is it because we let our children have it too young? Is the media influencing our children to become superficial and materialistic? My generation grew up in a time where technology was growing along with us. The older we became, the more advanced technology grew, and maybe this is to explain why my generation is obsessed with things and not experiences.

I can't say that I am any different. It is easy to become caught up with what society wants us to be, and with social media, this ideal is emphasized tremendously. It's easy to become engulfed in the "high-life". If I can see a plethora of beautiful women with expensive cars, handbags, clothes, and so on; it's easy to want all of that. It's easy to think that that life is meant for all of us. Obviously, that's not the case. A very small percentage of people live in luxury, and the rest pretend to live in luxury to show off to their friends online. It's become a very "I'm better than you" world we live in, regardless of where you come from.

Most people upload picturesque photos of their lives to impress their friends and followers. I've done the same, and I think most of my generation has. But the amount of energy it takes to prove myself to others does not seem worth it at all. I do not care what others think, so why should I continue on with this facade?

I've already deleted Twitter, but I've kept Facebook for the sake of my articles and my friends. Even deleting just one platform has saved me the stress of thinking that I have to impress people with my life and what I do. I've learned that it's all just a crock of shit, and the sooner I understand that I do not owe anyone a glimpse into my life, the happier I will be.

I am happier without having to prove to people that I am something that I'm not.