Why Do We Skip Thanksgiving?

Why Do We Skip Thanksgiving?

Why jump straight to the Christmas tree before you cut the turkey?

1472
Why Do We Skip Thanksgiving?

It seems that every year come November 1, Christmas magically appears. Now, I love Christmas just as much as anyone, but society likes to skip over the holiday with the most meaning.

At Thanksgiving, you are supposed to celebrate the people and things you are thankful for. People seem to forget that the first Thanksgiving was a huge part of American history. The Pilgrims were thanking the Native Americans for all they had done for them over their first year in America. Everyone is so excited to get their presents and drink hot chocolate and watch their favorite Christmas movie that we forget about the turkey, the Macy's Parade and the backyard football games.

Growing up, we never put our Christmas tree up before Thanksgiving (no matter how much I would beg). Thanksgiving has turned into a holiday where everyone is more concerned about their Black Friday shopping, so much so that stores have begun to open on Thanksgiving. It amazes me that people are so concerned with Christmas shopping that they will miss out on the one day a year where you can eat as much as you want and won't get judged.

I look forward to Thanksgiving every year. Not only for the amazing food that is made (usually by me) but for the simple fact that no one seems to fight on this day. Thanksgiving is a day to be spent with you family, remembering that you should be thankful for all the good things in your life. If you have good health, a great family, good grades, or even if you love your job, you have something to be thankful for.

So forget about the plain red cups at Starbucks, just be thankful Starbucks is a thing. Be thankful for the fact you mother still loves you, even if you told her you hated her that one time in seventh grade. Be thankful for your health if you are lucky enough to be healthy. Be thankful that you get to go to college if you do, because not everyone gets this chance. Always remember that even when you feel like your life is horrible and that you have hit rock bottom, there is always something to be thankful for. Personally I am thankful that everyday I wake up. That I get another chance to have a great day. I'm thankful for the fact that I am surrounded by family and friends who love me.

Always know that there is someone out there who is thankful you woke up this morning. Be thankful for that. So before you put your Christmas tree up, remember that there is something to be thankful for before you do.