4 Benefits You Can Get Out Of Giving Back To The Community

Community service is so much more than just a requirement.

41
Helena Lopes via Unsplash

Service is one of my biggest passions. Ever since I started going to my local animal shelter my freshman year of high school, I have always found ways to be involved in some type of service. I even joined a community service based fraternity in college. Aside from having the time of my life while doing it, there is nothing better than seeing the outcome of your efforts and dedication to helping people.

1. A sense of purpose

unsplash-logoDanica Tanjutco" >

Service really brightens my day and although it may not all be glamorous, it instantly brightens my mood. While it is never about the praise, I love doing what I do for the people and I am forever grateful for all of the different kind of opportunities for service that has been opened up for me. You will come to find what you were put on this earth to do!

2. Joy

unsplash-logoMI PHAM" >

Nothing can beat the reaction and appreciation of your efforts to help people. It brings me SO much joy to know that I have possibly made a difference in somebody's life and/or have made life a little easier or brighter for them.

3. Making friends

unsplash-logoTyler Nix" >

I have been able to participate in several different types of service for all different walks of life from young children, to college students, to the elderly, and even to all kinds of animals! With all of these different types of people, I have formed bonds and connections with some of them, which is something that I love. Service builds a camaraderie that is undeniable.

4. A feeling of pride

unsplash-logoJosh Appel" >

Helping someone makes you feel accomplished and just makes you feel whole that you helped somebody even in the slightest! Again, while it is never about the praise, it makes you feel good about yourself and therefore, makes it all worth it.

5. Skills that you can carry with you forever

unsplash-logorawpixel" >

By taking part in service opportunities of a variety of degrees and various locations, you are bound to pick up a skill you never had before. For example, by volunteering at a fall festival this past weekend, I learned how to make candles!!!! There are so many skills that you can gain from service, like patience and kindness, that you will carry throughout your life. The opportunities are endless!

Happy volunteering!