Sorry, But Republicans And Morality Just Don't Mix
Politics

What is so obvious to some and not to others

302

This isn’t about Trump nor is it a piece about how bad conservative Christians are. Today is about morality.

I don’t profess myself to be the beacon of how to live life well. And like most humans, I’ve done things I am not proud of. And for full disclosure, I don’t believe in any religion nor a higher power. Each person has their own ideas and that’s how it was meant to be. But what happens when the people we, the citizens of the United States of America, do not hold up our elected officials to a higher standard.

“Do to others what you want them to do to you. This is the meaning of the law of Moses and the teaching of the prophets.” is how Jesus, the Jewish man from Nazareth with some wild ideas, summarized the Torah. Meanwhile in politics across both parties. We have disgusting allegations of men sexually abusing women. Paedophiles and individuals calling on behalf of Muslim genocide providing advice to the President

When this nation was founded, we took an ancient concept and revolted against a country who had started a process to control the most land in history. Over the next 241 years, those divided by the physical and metaphysical banded together to create a nation that was supposed to be upheld by the ideals that “All men and women are created equal”.

Since the end of the Obama presidency, we have seen half of the nation divided from the other by petty differences. A party has taken a religion, used it to pander to voters and twisted and warped it until it has become the very opposite of what is preached.

The document of which this nation was founded explicitly states in the first amendment; “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion”. Then Indiana Gov. Mike Pence signed his discriminatory bill in 2015 and two years prior the state congress of North Carolina did the same.

In these past few years alone, Tim Murphy, a part-time Christian, misogynist, pressured his mistress to get an abortion while he continuously voted against pro-choice laws while serving in the U.S. Congress. Roy Moore, who kept the 10 commandments in his courtroom, was accused by 9 different women. But as those who voted for them, they ’re "upstanding God-fearing" folks.

This isn't to say that Democrats aren't absolved of any sexual misconduct or corruption cases but you don't hear any reasoning for ideas come from the basis "as a Christian...". That party due to its diversity has 20 percent of its members belonging to either no or one religion other than Christianity. Republicans are 99 percent Christian in Congress and at some point, each member has used their beliefs as a basis for a vote. If you had such a desire to preach, then go to the seminary, not congress

Those serving in office, who swear they are upstanding Christians, lack the intestinal fortitude to do right as both a human and Christian. This same party promoted a man; who has cheated, lied and stole, into the office of President of the United States. Republicans, you can no longer claim you represent the party of moral beliefs.