Why Relationships Outside of Your Relationship are Important

1552

When you get into a new relationship, it is easy to fall into the puppy love stage. You cannot get enough of each other and want to spend every second together when you first get together. While it is easy to become completely consumed in your relationship, you have to remember that there are other relationships that are just as important, and if you are not careful, you can neglect them. 

You have to remember that you have friends, and they probably don’t want to hear about how great you think he or she is 24/7. They especially don’t want to see it all the time. Take time to do things without each other and hang out with your friends. They can keep you grounded and prevent you from becoming too sappy. 

If you ditch your friends all of the time to be with your girl or guy, you might find that you miss out on things and you might grow distant from even the best of friends if you don’t take time to nurture your friendship. Besides, if things don’t work out in your relationship, you will really need those friends to be there. If you want, you can incorporate your significant other into your friend group and maybe merge both of y'all’s friend groups together. There is nothing better than seeing your boyfriend or girlfriend get along with your best friends.

Family is another important relationship you have to maintain. Especially as a teenager or young adult, you might not consider family relationships as important as romantic ones. Family, in most cases, are the people who will always be there for you and do anything for you, so it’ is important to take time to keep those relationships strong. You can incorporate each other into your families and find that you gain new relationships that way.

It may sound weird, but an important relationship you have to remember to maintain is the one that you have with yourself. When you get together with someone, you lose a little bit of freedom. That is okay, but what you don’t want to lose is yourself. Keep doing those hobbies that you love. Don’t be afraid to be alone and spend time with your thoughts. Stay true to who you are. Compromise but don’t break and maintain your own opinions and dreams. Don’t become a half to a whole; you alone are whole.

Spend as much time as you want with the person you are with. The time when you just cannot get enough of each other is short, anyway. Just remember that other relationships in your life can provide you with things that a romantic relationship cannot, and for that reason, they are important to have.