Why It Is Okay That I Am Not Religious

Why It Is Okay That I Am Not Religious

Everyone has aspects of life that are important to them, let’s not tell them what those aspects need to be.

47
Why It Is Okay That I Am Not Religious

This is nothing against people who are religious, but I am not. And that’s okay. I am tired of being embarrassed around my friends when I tell them I don’t want to go to church and they ask me why.

I grew up in a household where we were able to believe anything we wanted to believe. My parents have never forced me into believing one thing or another. For all I know, we could all have totally different beliefs on life. We didn’t go to church every Sunday and holidays were about being with family than anything else.

I don’t feel like I have to read the bible to gain direction in my life. I don’t feel like I need to ask God for help when things get rough. I have different ways of doing these things that are unique and personal to me.

I want to stop feeling judged by those around me for not believing the same things or for not practicing in the same ways. I do not judge you for seeking more meaning out of life through religion so why do you judge me?

We live in a country with freedom of religion; what I choose to believe/support, or if I choose to believe anything at all, is my personal decision. It affects nobody but me.

So why does everyone else care so much? Maybe it makes you feel like you’re helping me by telling me to go to church. Maybe you feel like everyone needs to live life the way that you do. We are all different. I think our differences should be respected and appreciated. No two people think the same way, so why push them to?

Maybe next time, before you try to push your religion onto someone else or chastise someone for not going to church, you will think to yourself that although religion is right for you, it isn’t right for everyone.

Contrary to popular belief, it is okay to not be religious. It doesn’t make you a bad person or any less of a person than your religious friends, family, or peers. It doesn’t mean that you are doing anything wrong in your life, and you have nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone has aspects of life that are important to them, let’s not tell them what those aspects need to be.