Why Nursing School Is Different Than Any Other Major

Because most other majors can't kill someone accidentally by adding wrong.

47753
stocksnap.io

College is hard. Between studying for numerous amounts of tests and balancing eating, working out, maintaining a social life, and somehow not breaking your bank account, it's no wonder a common conversation among students is “how many mental breakdowns did you have this week?"

Every major will pose its own challenges. That's the truth. Nursing school, however, is a special kind of tough that only other nursing majors can understand.

SEE ALSO: Quit Bashing Radford University

Nurses are the backbone and unsung hero of healthcare.

Their job is to advocate for the patient, collaborate care among all other healthcare team members, carry out physician orders, recognize and report patient progress (or lack thereof), run interference for the patient with any unwanted visitors, research and validate evidence-based practice, all while maintaining a certain aurora of confidence for patients and their loved ones that “everything will be okay" and “I've got this under control."

If that sounds like a lot, because it is.

The majority of skills that we learn that make good nurses cannot actually be taught in theory classes. It's the hours of actual practice and a certain knack for caring for people- all people- that makes a good nurse great. The countless, unrelenting hours that are spent on the floor in clinical humble us, we know that we're not great yet, but we're trying.

Our professors expect us to be humble as well.

Nurses do not seek gold stars for their actions. Instead, the precedent that is set for us so that we “do the right thing because it is the right thing to do." Most nursing programs grading scales are different. To us, a failing grade isn't actually getting a 69 or lower, it's an 80.

And that makes sense. Patients wouldn't want a nurse who only understands 70% of what is happening in the body. We have to understand the normal body response, what happens when things go wrong, why it happens the way it does, and how to properly intervene. We want to learn, it interests us, and we know that the long theory classes and the hard days on the floor are just to make us better.

However, any triumph, anytime you do well, whatever small victory that may feel like for you, it just what is supposed to happen- it's what is expected, and we still have much to learn.

I look back on my decision to take on nursing school, and I often find myself questioning: why? There are so many other majors out there that offer job security, or that help people, or would challenge me just as much. But, when I think of being a nurse- it's what fulfills me.

There's something that the title holds that makes me feel complete (and that same fact is going to resonate with anyone who wants to love their job). I wouldn't change the decision I made for anything, I love what I am learning to do and I feel that it's part of what makes me who I am.

The other students who I have met through nursing school are some of the most amazing people I have ever come into contact with, and the professors have helped me understand so much more about myself than I thought possible.

Nursing is treating and understanding the human response.

Meaning that it's not just the disease process, or the action of the medication, or the care that we provide, but that nurses treat the way in which people deal, react, feel, and cope with good news, bad news, terrible procedures, hospital stays and being completely dependent on other people.

And the fact of the matter is that all people are different. There is no one magic treatment that will always work for every patient.

In addition to course work, the clinical hours, the passion and drive to want to be a nurse, and the difficulty that comes with any medical profession, we have to understand each individual patient, as people and not their illness. And, in order to do that so much self-discovery goes on each day to recognize where you are and how you are coping with everything coming your way.

What is taught in nursing school goes far beyond just textbook information or step-by-step procedures.

We have to learn, and quickly, how to help and connect with people on a level which most struggle to accomplish in a lifetime. It's a different kind of instruction, and it either takes place quickly or not at all.

The quality of nurse you become depends on it. Nursing school is different, not harder or better than any other school, just different.

SEE ALSO: Stop Putting Down Radford University