Why I Am Not Ashamed Of Taking Out Student Loans

I refuse to apologize.

38
Tim Calkins

Our generation is in millions of dollars worth of debt. Between student loans, credit cards, and frivolous spending, college students are drowning. The average student graduates with $29,000 worth of debt. This is a staggering number. However, all things considered, I am not ashamed of taking out student loans. Student loans are a necessity in my life, and I am very grateful for them.

Let me put it like this: My parents are not paying my way through college nor do I have a full ride. If your parents are paying for your education, that's great. However, the truth of the matter is that many families can not afford this tremendous expense. To put it quite simply, federal loans allow students who could never afford a higher education on their own to pursue a college degree.

While many people argue against loans, I argue in favor of loans. You read that correctly. Not having the luxury of your parents paying for everything encourages you to take responsibility for the money you spend and the debt you may acquire. Taking out loans that I have to pay back encourages me to excel in my studies. It makes me strive for that "A" because that future graduate school or career is always in my mind. It prompts me to take advantage of every single resource the campus offers, because I am responsible for my tuition and fees. Taking out loans means dropping a class is not an option. Honestly, it means anything less than a "good" grade is unacceptable, because our financial aid rides on final grades. Taking out loans means that you maintain at least a 2.5. Along with maintaining certain grades, taking out loans also means that graduating in a decent amount of time is a must. The longer we stay in school, the more money we will have to borrow. Because of this, I have fit two majors into four years time.

I am not taking out loans because I am "stupid" or less than. No. I am taking out loans because I come from an extremely poor family; a family that loves me to death but can't afford the estimated $80,000 my higher education costs.

I am not taking out loans because I refuse to work. In fact, I've worked since my fourth day of college. During the school year, I take fifteen hours and work part time. I've been a lab assistant, a receptionist, and even a tutor. During the summer, I work fast food right at full time.

The majority of students aren't taking out loans because they are lazy. In actuality, I've found that, generally speaking, students paying out of their own pockets or with loans put more work into their education; and in return, they get more out of the college experience. I believe that being responsible for paying for your education urges you to be as involved as possible in college; to make connections. For example, along with my work experience, I've been involved in multiple student organizations. I've been the president of a club, a classroom proctor, and an honor society member (among other things).

Taking out loans does not make you "less than" anyone else. It does not make you less intelligent or less important. It does not make you lazy or a failure. Taking out loans is the only way many of us can attend college. It is the only way we can afford tuition and fees as well the large living expenses many college towns have.

I am not ashamed of taking out loans. I am not ashamed of needing help to afford a higher education. I am not ashamed of acquiring a little bit of debt to help better my future.