Why Nostalgia Is Great

Why Nostalgia Is Great

"The more you love a memory, the stronger and stranger it is." - Vladimir Nabokov

26
Why Nostalgia Is Great
Havard Business Review

The dictionary defines nostalgia as "a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations."

I am very nostalgic.

Everyone knows listening to a song they haven’t heard in 10 years and the feeling of just extreme euphoria that comes with it. For me, it’s either Shania Twain’s or John Mayer’s early albums. I think of the good times I had listening to that music and how young I was. I think about the beautiful Sunday afternoons when I was in elementary school, eating BBQ on the porch and playing games with my family.

Another thing that makes me nostalgic would be watching really old movies (AKA movies that were big when I was a child in the 90s). I remember being sick over Christmas break when I was in elementary school and watching old Disney movies on a loop for days on end.

Some people get nostalgic about old games and electronics. My brother, for instance, is really into VHS tapes. Why? I have no clue. I collect vinyl, which isn't actually that rare nowadays. I love listening to old singers like Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole on vinyl.

I remember the old computer games I used to play like Pajama Sam, Zoombinis, and Freddi Fish. I remember listening to Shania Twain on casette tapes. I feel so old saying casette tapes.

I've noticed that reminiscing is something that really makes me happy. I know it's not good to dwell in the past, but the past happens for a reason - so that we can remember it.

Nostalgia is an amazing thing. It's almost indescribable.

The past is a special place. You remember who you were, what you were into, the friends you had, the trends you indulged in, and the things you did.

I love the past. I also love now.