Why You Should Take Night Classes

When you're in college, you get to create your own schedule. Why go for the 8 am classes when you can take a class during a time that works best for you? Night classes are often more diverse and flexible than the average college class. Here's why night classes are the best. Be sure to schedule a night class next semester!

1. They fit into your work schedule.

Working and going to school at the same time is difficult. Having that gap during the day is perfect for most places in or around campus. Every shift for the evening is already filled by people taking only day classes, so it's easy to get extra hours and fit it into your schedule at the same time.

2. The time is perfect for night owls. 

If you're a night owl, you're not getting up for that 8am lecture. Spread out your classes and have them go later rather than earlier. It's what works best for you.

3. Night classes have a different community.

If you've ever been to a community college or previously had a night class, you'll know what I'm talking about. People from all walks of life--not just full-time college students-- attend night classes. Because of the flexibility mentioned before, people who work during the day or have to take care of their family attend night classes, and because of this you get a chance to experience people that aren't the college students you see during the day classes.

4. You have time before class.

Procrastination is a word in every college student's dictionary. Sometimes you have no time to finish an assignment. With a night class, you can finish it in the many hours before it's due, no stress.

5. Naps.

If you don't want to be productive, naps are also a great option for the hole in your schedule. Because everyone's out of the dorms/apartments during the day, it's super quiet and prime nap-time.

6. You only meet once a week.

January 17Th By GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Most night classes only meet once a week. This means that you have a whole week to get an assignment done, study for that test, or do whatever you need to do for the next class. This also means that you have time for more classes if you want to add more, or more time to work.

7. Usually, you're let out early.

Because some of the students are commuters and the rest have to walk home in the dark, professors tend to let night classes out earlier to avoid bad weather conditions or if they're just feeling tired. I've had a professor who ended a night class 40 minutes early because they wanted to go home and sleep.

8. You get a break!

When you have a weekly night class, typically they're more than two hours. This means that most professors give you a ten to fifteen minute break in the middle. This is perfect for students who get distracted easily and need to refocus by going for a walk or getting some food, without missing any class time.

9. Professors have day jobs.

Simply put: jobs come with experience. You want a professor who is knowledgeable in their field, and having a professor coming in to a lecture fresh out of working in that field is perfect.

10. You can keep your social life!

Most night classes don't get out super late, so you still have plenty of time left in the day to socialize. Even if you can't, you have time during the day during that incredible gap I've mentioned! A friend wants to grab a quick cup of coffee, and everyone else is in class? Of course I'm available!