My Parents Didn't Force Religion On Me

My Parents Didn't Push Religion On Me And My Relationship With God Is Better Because Of It

My relationship with God is not defined by how many times I do or don't go to church.

224

I remember being in a church four times in my life. Once when I was a kid, once for a funeral, once because my friend pretty much forced me to, and once because my high school had the ACT in one. So it's easy to see that I'm not a "Bible thumper," but that doesn't mean that I don't have strong faith.

My parents never once made me go to church even though my grandparents criticized them greatly for it. Honestly, my grandparents still criticize me and my parents for not going to church and it still bothers me.

I pray daily and believe in a higher power. If God really loves all of his children, it shouldn't matter if I'm a "sinner" for not going to church, he should still love me for it.

My parents' choice to not push religion on me was one of the best things they ever did as parents. I chose faith on my own. I have a special bond with God because I chose it for myself and, in a way, it means so much more. Too often you see people end up hating church because they are upset about having to go as a kid. That's sadder than me not going to church.

So go ahead, continue to judge me for not going to church, but just know that doesn't make me any less of a person. Everyone has their own opinions about how things should be done, but one thing God has taught us is that we need to accept everyone regardless of their choices.

I am proud to be a Christian even if it's not in the most traditional way.