Why MUN Is FUN

Why MUN Is FUN

You will not regret joining.
267

I have been in MUN for the past 3 years, and it has impacted my life significantly. Joining MUN was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

So what is MUN? MUN, which stands for Model United Nations, is a foreign-policy based organization that allows student to take on the roles of country delegates to explore international issues and debates. Hearing this, most people automatically turn away, labeling MUN as a boring, "smart people" club. However, MUN is much more interesting than what people expect. In fact, MUN is FUN!

1. Improving Your Speaking Skills

When I was younger, I was extremely shy. I would rather take tests than speak in public. Every oral presentation, I would stutter and speak overly fast, my face turning red from embarrassment. When I joined MUN, I joined it to participate in as a hobby. No one was forcing me to speak. The conference awards motivated me to speak more confidently, and it helped that I was talking about topics I was truly passionate about. Now, I have no trouble speaking in front of a crowd. I enjoy giving speeches.

2. Making Friends

I am in my school's MUN club. MUN is like family. The friends and experiences I have made there are irreplaceable. Also, at conferences, you meet new people from various schools, and you hear unique ideas from each. From MUN, you can also develop your cooperation with others by learning to accept criticism and share ideas. These qualities of MUN will teach you to be an effective leader.

3. Traveling

One of the most enjoyable parts of MUN is traveling to collegiate conferences. You can travel out of your town to a conference held at a college. At the conferences, you can meet people from all over the nation or even the world. While participating in the conference, you can explore the college campus or the city itself.

MUN has many more amazing factors; there are too many to write down. As long as you participate in your MUN experience by having fun learning the topics and meeting people, MUN will change your life for the better. Don't just judge it as boring and give MUN a try. You won't regret it.